Chap 7 - Icy Reckonings

(Suzune POV.)

To formally introduce myself as Ryujin's fiancée, I must first face Kenshin-sama. After the humiliation I went through earlier, this won't be an easy task. But, well, here goes nothing.

Taking a deep breath, I approached Kenshin-sama's quarters. My heart raced in my chest as I prepared to address him.

"Kenshin-sama, I want to begin by apologizing for my previous visit," I stated as soon as I entered the room. It was important to address the elephant in the room – my false accusations against his son. Now that I was engaged to Ryujin, I needed to mend our relationship.

Kenshin-sama looked at me, his expression unreadable. I had to make him see that I was sincere and that this engagement was a step toward building bridges between our sects.

"This engagement, as unexpected as it might be, holds promise for both our sects," I continued, trying to sound confident. "Forming a connection between the Blood Moon Sect and the Blue Lotus Sect could lead to great things."

Kenshin-sama's stern demeanor softened slightly and I took it as a small victory. I couldn't afford to mess this up. As much as I resented the circumstances, I had to make the best of them.

"I'm determined to prove my commitment to this alliance," I added, trying to convey my earnestness.

Kenshin-sama studied me for a moment before nodding his head. "Actions will speak louder than words, Suzune."

"Indeed, Kenshin-sama. I am ready to demonstrate my dedication." I nodded in agreement.

"Well... *cough cough* I understand you're already aware, but Alexia is still quite upset. It won't be an easy task to earn her forgiveness."

"Yes... I'm prepared to put in the effort."

The visit from Alexia to my sect had made her feelings abundantly clear. The icy atmosphere during her presence had practically taken my breath away. It was astonishing to witness the extent of her ice magic prowess, something I had underestimated.

Truly, Alexia's anger seemed to manifest as an arctic blast. The entire room seemed on the verge of becoming an icebox, if not for my mother's quick use of fire magic to counteract the cold, we would be done for. Mental note, I chided myself, never trust

strangers again, and most importantly, don't disregard the potential consequences.

"Alexia is waiting for you in the next room... best of luck." Kenshin-sama bid me farewell.

With a deep breath, I gathered my resolve and moved forward.

***

"I... I apologize for everything I've done." I began, my voice faltering slightly in the face of the icy atmosphere that engulfed the luxurious room, its corners adorned with intricate ice formations that seemed to shimmer and dance.

Mirroring the approach I had taken with Kenshin-sama, I continued, "What I did... it was completely unjust. I falsely accused Ryujin-san..."

Alexia's gaze remained fixed on me, her expression as icy as the surroundings. Every corner of the room seemed to be draped in frost, an elaborate manifestation of her powerful ice magic. It was both awe-inspiring and chilling, a stark reminder of the depths of her emotions.

"Why?" Her voice was as cold as the environment she had created.

"I... I let my anger cloud my judgment." Every word I said hung nearly frozen in the air. The sensation of coldness seemed to seep into my very bones, making it difficult to articulate my thoughts clearly.

The frigid air seemed to tighten its grip around me, each word I spoke feeling like an effort to break through the ice. It was as if the room itself reflected Alexia's emotions – frozen, unyielding, and filled with an unspoken tension.

"I was wrong and I deeply regret the pain I caused. I want to make amends, to work toward earning your forgiveness," I went on to say, my breath clearly visible in the frosty air.

"Do you even have an inkling of what my son was engaged in?" Alexia's voice sliced through the cold air, sharp and biting.

"I had no knowledge of it."

The truth was, I truly had no idea. My understanding of Ryujin's activities was limited to his intense training regimen, nothing more.

"He was striving to better himself," Alexia continued, her tone tinged with a mixture of pride and concern.

"Seriously?"

It was characteristic of him, after all.

The irony struck me. I had been so quick to believe that he would sabotage the evidence, and yet, his unwavering dedication to self-improvement made such a notion seem almost laughable. The idea of him diverting his attention from his training for anything else was inconceivable.

Alexia's piercing gaze seemed to bore into my very soul. "Now, consider the anguish my dear Ryujin experienced upon discovering that he had been falsely accused by a friend..."

My heart sank, guilt gnawing at me.

"I... I'm sorry."

There was no excuse that could justify my thoughtless behavior.

Her next words held a chilling finality. "You should leave... unless you want to test the limits of my promise not to hurt you."

Without another word, I turned and left the room, the cold air following me like an accusing shadow. As I walked away, the weight of my actions settled heavily on my shoulders. Did I truly cause Ryujin pain? The thought gnawed at me, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.