The Boat Ride

A voice echoed through the train: 'We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately.'

Astra felt the excitement flow through her at the announcement, she looked over and saw that Jasper had gone slightly pale, his freckles standing out a little more against his face. Astra offered the boy a small smile. Jasper looked at her for a few moments before quickly looking away, shaking his head softly. 

They crammed their pockets with the last of the sweets and joined the crowd thronging the corridor. Astra stuck close to Alora who seemed to be a little nervous. She reached over, softly nudging the girl and giving her a smile, "dont worry Potter, it's gonna be fine."

Alora nodded softly. 

The train slowed right down and finally stopped. People pushed their way towards the door and out on to a tiny, dark platform. Astra shivered in the cold night air. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students. 

Astra watched as Mattheo said something to Alora but paid no attention as Theodore walked up behind her, "stay close to us or youre gonna get trampled," he spoke to her. She nodded her head softly. 

'Firs'-years! Firs'-years over here! All right there, Alora?' Astra looked between Alora and the tall man

"You know him?" Astra asked her softly, she was filled with confusion as she looked at her. Alora nodded her head

Hagrid's big hairy face beamed over the sea of heads.

'C'mon, follow me – any more firs'-years? Mind yer step, now! Firs'-years follow me!'

Slipping and stumbling, they followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. Astra looked around excitedly, every now and then she would spot something moving in the bushes on the edge of the path and would slightly stray to the side to go and see what it was but Jasper continued to grab the sleeve of her uniform, softly tugging her back.

"Quit wandering Black or youre going to get lost and then get left behind." He told her, tugging her along by her sleeve. Nobody spoke much. Neville, the boy who kept losing his toad, sniffed once or twice.

"You'd like that wouldn't you?" Astra said with a grin. Jasper just rolled his eyes at her

"Shut up and keep up would you?" he replied, grabbing the sleeve of her robe and dragging her along. Astra looked around, "oh shit, where did the others go?" she asked, looking for Alora and the boys. 

"Well thanks to you, we are towards the back now and theyre all up the front," Jasper said to her, "so if you'd kindly hurry up, that would be great."

"Alright alright, no need to get your knickers in a twist," she huffed with a wide grin. 

'Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec,' Astra could hear Hagrid call out, but she couldn't see anything since she was pretty short compared to the rest of the group, 'jus' round this bend here.'

There was a loud 'Oooooh!'. Jasper watched as she tried to stand on her tippy toes to get a better look. He raised his eyebrow at her, holding back a snicker as she struggled to see. She let out a huff of frustration. 

Jasper rolled his eyes, grabbing onto her sleeve once more and dragging her to the front, shoving people out of the way. Astra's eyes widened as she looked up at the castle, turning to Jasper with a wide grin, "It's so beautiful isn't it?" she asked quickly

Jasper looked down at her, a small smile tugging on his lips as he turned back to look at the castle, "yeah... yeah it is..." he mumbled, his eyes flickering down to her amazed face.