The Hogwarts Express

They bought Astra's school books in a shop called Flourish and Blotts where the shelves were stacked to the ceiling with books as large as paving stones bound in leather; books the size of postage stamps in covers of silk; books full of peculiar symbols and a few books with nothing in them at all.

Both Astra and Remus spent ages looking at the books in awe, struggling to not buy a heap of books. Remus almost had to drag Astra away from Curses and Counter-Curses (Bewitch your Friends and Befuddle your Enemies with the Latest Revenges: Hair Loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying and much, much more) by Professor Vindictus Viridian.

She was so much like her father it scared him.

'I was trying to find out how to curse that Rowle boy.'

'I'm not saying that's not a good idea, but try not to get into too much trouble especially not your first few days in,' said Remus with a laugh, rubbing her head fondly. 'You remind me so much of him sometimes... anyway, you shouldn't work any of those curses yet, you need a lot more study before you get to that level... though if you're like your father I expect it won't take you too long... you're very bright for your age'

Astra kept reminding Remus that she was more than happy with second hand options, she didn't need anything new but her godfather was quick to insist that she got whatever she wanted. So she grabbed new things, but made sure to buy the cheapest options.

She bought a pewter cauldron, they got a nice set of scales for weighing potion ingredients and a collapsible brass telescope. Then they visited the apothecary's, which was fascinating enough to make up for its horrible smell, a mixture of bad eggs and rotted cabbages. Barrels of slimy stuff stood on the floor, jars of herbs, dried roots and bright powders lined the walls, bundles of feathers, strings of fangs and snarled claws hung from the ceiling.

While Remus asked the man behind the counter for a supply of some basic potion ingredients for Astra, Astra herself examined silver unicorn horns at twenty-one Galleons each and minuscule, glittery black beetle eyes (five Knuts a scoop).

Outside the apothecary's, Remus checked Astra's list again.

'Just your wand now kiddo – oh yeah, and Ive still got to get you your congratulations present for getting into Hogwarts.'

Astra felt herself go red. 'You don't have to –'

'I know I don't have to kid but I want to. I'm super proud of you and I want you to know that, besides, it'll give you something to remember me by while you're gone. Was thinking of getting you an owl so that we could post each other while you're there.'

Astras eyes widened in excitement, practically h jumping around as she grabbed onto his arm, "you're the best Rem!"

Twenty minutes later, they left Eeylops Owl Emporium, which had been dark and full of rustling and flickering, jewel-bright eyes. Astra now carried a large cage which held a beautiful Eostrix owl, fast asleep with her head under her wing.

She couldn't stop stammering her thanks, thanking him over and over as she kept almost running into things, her attention on the bird instead of the other ahead of her.

Remus laughed as he grabbed onto her shoulder, leading her through the crowds of people so the she wouldn't trip over or run into anyone

'Don't mention it,' said Remus fondly. 'You're a good kid and I'm glad that I can give you something you really want, I'm just sorry I can't do it more often... Just Ollivanders left now – you'll be able to get the perfect want here.'

A magic wand ... this was what Astra had been really looking forward to.

The last shop was narrow and shabby. Peeling gold letters over the door read Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC. A single wand lay on a faded purple cushion in the dusty window.