23. the end is here

Start from the beginning

Daemon sighed and leaned against the table, "That's your father talking".

Roseva turned to her husband, "Daemon!". The man lowered his head at his wife's scolding before rubbing his face in exhaustion and annoyance.

"My father's dead. And he chose me as his successor . . . to defend the realm not cast it headlong into war".

"Well, the enemy have declared war! What are you going to do about it?".

Roseva understood what her husband was doing. He was trying to make Rhaenyra a true Queen, one that ruled over the fear of it's people because that's how he would have ruled but Rhaenyra was not built that way. She never was.

Rhaenyra is kind and desires to rule of the love of her people. To make the world a fair and just place. This wasn't how she wanted to be Queen but they truly did leave her no choice.

Rhaenyra stared at her Uncle with such calmness it worried Roseva, "Clear the room".

Daeron looked at his father and shook his head, "Now you've done it".

Daemon sighed as the room began to clear. Roseva turned to her husband and shook her head, "Be nice. You need to help her, not berate her for what she's not doing. She knows the risks, Daemon. She needs your support not your judgment". The woman sighed and her husband shook his head in acknowledgment to her words. She patted his chest and walked out the room with her children.

"Go to your chambers, the hour is late", she told them and they nodded and kissed her cheek each before walking with each other to their chambers.

"I swear if you fart in my face again, Daeron, you are dead", Rhaena growled and hit his back while he was walking up the steps.

"I didn't!", he cried in response and Robert snickered along with Rhaegar as the eldest carried an already sleeping Baelon.

Roseva watched them with a small smile before retiring to her chambers — undoing her dress and shifting onto the bed where sleep consumed her.

Daemon shifted in his sleep and rolled over, the bed was cold beside him meaning his wife had been up for some time. He sighed heavily and ran a hand down his face before removing the covers from his body and got out of bed.

The man entered his eldest son — Robert's room and saw her holding Baelon in his arms, "I may be young but if we go to war with them that means everyone I love could end up dead".

Daemon watched Roseva tried to keep the tears in her eyes from falling in front of her son, "That will never happen, little Baelon", she spoke with a croaky voice from the tears and kissed her sons head.

The father watched in guilt as a tear slipped down her cheek which was quickly brushed away as she continued to dress her son. He felt guilty because he was pushing for this war to happen and he didn't even know why anymore. Not after what he had just heard.

He didn't consider how his wife and children must feel about it. He only felt the loss of his brother and it was clouding his judgement. He and Viserys never truly got on but he was his brother and that meant something.

But Viserys was gone now. His family was still here.

Robert walked out of the bathing room that was connected to his room and kissed his mothers cheek. He picked up Baelon who wrapped his little arms around his neck, "I'll take him to get something to eat".