22. the black queen

CHAPTER TWENTY—TWO

ROBERT comforted Jace as Daeron did the same with Luke — the two didn't know what it felt like to lose a sibling but they did know how to comfort people through their mother so they did their best

The Velaryon boys were thankful for their comfort but didn't have too much time to dwell on it as the funeral was at the horizon — their parents wanting to have their babe put to rest immediately with everything else they had going on.

Roseva slipped her dress on with Daemon putting his sword in its holder behind her — tears slipped down her cheek slowly and she wiped them aware before she turned around to face her husband.

"What do we say, Daemon? I mean w-what is there even to say?", Daemon turned and faced his tear stained faced wife and sighed. He too didn't know what to say when his children had asked what happened and why their mother was screaming in her room.

What could you say when there were zero answers?

"Perhaps words aren't what they need right now, only the means of our comfort and presence", his spoke softly to her and walked forward to hold her at arms length.

Roseva pressed her hands into the dents of his elbow and tapped her fingers against it, "Right", she nodded, looking away from him but then met his eyes, "How are the children?".

"As to be expected".

"Right. I'll have Daeron and Robert—",

"Look after them? They're already doing that", Daemon finished for her and she breathed in deeply with a nod, thankful for her two eldest boys.

"Good. They shouldn't be alone at a time like this".

Roseva didn't know what it felt like to lose a child.

But she would . . .

Daemon kissed the top of her head to then move his own head down to meet with her forehead — the two looked at each other softly before kissing and pulling away. "We should go", she spoke and let him go, their hands falling from each others touch as they walked out of the room.