21. the first betrayal

Start from the beginning

"What do you want?".

"I need to speak with mother", he picked at his nails, a habit that made Roseva think of Alicent, it made her sad knowing they hadn't spent much time together.

Roseva often felt selfish for keeping Robert away from his other family but she wanted what was best for him and Otto wasn't that. But at this expense, Alicent missed out on time with him too.

Daemon sighed and gently woke his wife up, Rose groaned and kicked her feet under the covers, "What?".

"Robert needs to speak with you, love", he nudged her and she slapped his hand away, Daemon got up with a smile and covered himself with his own blanket and walked off to get dressed in the connected room that had their bath tub in.

Rose sighed and opened her eyes and smiled at her sweet boy, sitting up with the covers over her naked body. "I'll be out in a few moments, wait for me?".

Robert nodded back with a little smile, "Of course, mother". Another blunt reply that made her heart hurt.

The woman got up and dressed herself in a light green dress with golden sides and left her hair up in a loose bun with curled pieces of hair hanging down the sides of her face.

She opened the door to see Robert standing there, she half expected Rewan to be there and upon seeing her confusion the boy spoke, "I asked him to help Luke and Jace train on the beach with Daeron".

Rose nodded and let her husband out of the room, he kissed her head and walked passed them to the hall for something to eat. Robert walked into the chambers and Rose closed the door behind them.

"What is it you wanted to speak about?".

Robert rubbed a hand over his face, "I want to be a knight. A soldier". He sat on the chair by the fire place and crossed one leg over the other — something Daemon often did.

"I'm aware, son. There's a lot I need to discuss with your father. It's not something I can just make happen", Rose stood opposite him and rested her hands together on her lap.

The boy looked down and nodded, "I had a letter from Borros Baratheon asking me about marriage proposals". Rose sighed, she could have been related to Borros but somewhere along the line of the Baratheon heritage, a bastard son was taken in after a battle and was quickly legitimised when the man's wife died and left him no heirs which led to the birth of Roseva because he couldn't stomach the thought of bedding another woman that wasn't his passed wife.

"I see", she spoke. "I suppose this is because of Rewan", Robert looked up at her and sighed with a nod of the head. Roseva understood, love was a complicated thing and you desired it more when you knew you couldn't have it.

Silence filled the room before Robert stood up from the chair and spoke up, "I never knew what I was made for before I met him. I always wanted to make you and father proud and be a role model for the children. But beyond that I had no clue what my life would become or what was expected of me", he said and Rose listened carefully, "Then I met him on the training yard when Daeron pushed me down on the floor with a grin and he told me that if I didn't want to pick up a sword again, I wouldn't have to because he would be there to protect me . . . I fell so hard, I was already on the floor but I felt my actual heart fall out of my chest and onto the floor by his feet. He didn't stomp on it or look at me like I was a disgusting human being . . . he picked it up and kept it safe and loved me back".