17. the art of choosing

Start from the beginning

It made Aemond look up to Robert through the words of his mother. He wanted to apologise and he went to but the girls were angry.

"Vhagar is my mothers dragon".

"Your mothers dead". Robert turned to Aemond in shock as he spoke, "And Vhagar has a new rider now".

"Aemond—".

"She was mine to claim".

The Hightower boy looked between the two with a tired expression and placed a hand on his hip and watched them argue.

"Then you should've claimed her!", Aemond yelled in frustration before his face went dark, "Maybe your cousins can find you a pig to ride. It would suit you".

Before Robert or Aemond could register, Daena stomps forward with a yell and grabs a hold of him but the boy is quick to register and pushes her to the ground causing her sister, Baela, to retaliate with a punch to the face.

Robert gasps and lurches forward and holds Baela up when Aemond spins and punches her in return, "Come at me again and I'll feed you to my dragon!".

Jacaerys pushed his young brother to the side and came for Aemond, sending punches that the Targaryen continued to miss he sent a sharp kick to Jace's stomach sending him to the floor.

Robert looked between the children frantically, "Stop this! Stop this at once!". His words fell on death ears when Lucerys screamed and ran forward but he was only small therefore Aemond sent a hard punch to his face before pushing him to the floor alongside his brother.

Robert watched Aemond fall with a thud when Jace got up — the two girls and himself ran forward and beat up the boy on the floor. Robert went over to help Lucerys but stopped when his eyes landed on the scene.

"No, stop it!", he gently grabbed Baela but the girl was in defence mode and shoved him off of her sending him into the rocky wall — his head collided with the rock before his body fell limp onto the sand.

Aemond turned upon hearing the collision to see his Uncle on the floor holding his now bloody head and growled in anger. He kicked Jace again sending him back before grabbing both girls and pushed them over.

Lucerys ran forward with a bloody nose but Aemond grabbed him by the throat and grabbed a rock — holding over the boys head in warning, "You will die screaming in flames just as your father should. Bastards". Lucerys cried as he gasped for her, Jacaerys watched in alarm.

Robert felt his eyes return to normal vision to see Baela looming over him, "Oh gods, I'm so sorry".

"It's okay, it's okay", he reassured and allowed her to help him up but his face fell upon hearing Aemond's words and watching the scene in front of him.

Aemond smirked and turned to Jace, "Isn't that right, Lord Baratheon?".

"Aemond, that's enough!", Robert yelled and walked over, taking the rock from him but turned when Baela called for Jace who was now holding a small sharp dagger.

"Jace, put it down", the Hightower boy spoke calmly but the boys eyes refused to meet his, knowing if he looked at Robert he'd put it down but he couldn't — Aemond went too far.