Chapter 15

Hearing all about Ben's and Saanvi's discovery about Unified Dynamic Systems teaming up with The Major and the missing passengers, Mick offers to help with the research but only enough to not look suspicious. It has been less than a week since Cal and Lexa had a terrifying calling and connection with Marko and another passenger. Mick has enrolled Lexa at Cal's and Olive's school, but neither her, Ben or Grace allowed them to go just yet. Thankfully, Lexa agreed to go only if she doesn't have to speak or anything just yet.

While Mick and Ben are at work, Ben is working at UDS's accounting firm – J. P. Williamson, while Grace is taking Cal and Lexa shopping for school supplies. Helping Lexa try on clothes for school, Cal is watching their cart outside the change rooms. After the clothes for Lexa, is a backpack and shoes.

Once the backpack is chosen, Grace surprisingly feels Lexa take her hand to keep up with Cal pretending the cart is a race car ahead of them. Knowing Lexa is startled or scared, Grace slows Cal down while slowing their pace to leave the mall after getting the shoes.

Arriving to footwear part of the mall, Grace gives Cal the freedom to look but knows to not let Lexa be on her own – Mick's orders to Grace. Letting Lexa browse the shoes for indoor wear, Grace grabs their forgotten cart and heads back to the tiny girl who is now panicking.

Hurrying over to her and the woman who is holding onto Lexa tightly, Grace immediately pulls Lexa back and into an embrace. Hearing Lexa start to sob while clenching onto Grace, Grace calls out for Cal who immediately runs over to them.

Turning to glare at the woman, she's gone from view. Pulling out her phone, Grace immediately calls Mick and once Mick answers Grace passes the call onto Lexa.

"A woman grabbed her, Mick." Grace whispers before putting Lexa on the phone. Hearing Mick's voice causes Lexa to slowly relax and stop crying enough into only sniffles.

"There's my angel." Mick sooths Lexa, "I will be with you in a few hours, okay angel? Until then, Grace and Cal will be with you."

Hearing Lexa's whimper before Lexa whispers one word, "Okay."

"You are brave, angel. You are my brave angel. I love you, Lexa."

"I love you too, mommy." Lexa replies honestly, "Be safe."

"I will. You be safe too, angel."

"Mommy, have you heard the heartbeat?" Lexa whispers quietly.

"The heartbeat calling, yes I have here in the field." Mick agrees.

"Can you follow it for me?"

"Of course, I will. We still must get together with Lourdes and Jared for dinner." Mick teases.

"He still scares me."

"I know. One day we will."

"Okay. Tell Jared I say hi, I guess." Lexa offers.

"I will. Get Grace to call me when you need me, okay?"

"I promise, mommy."

"Good. See you soon. I love you."

"I love you too." Passing the phone gently back to Grace, Grace slips it back into her pocket after making sure Mick ended the call.

"All good now, Lexa?" Grace asks softly to make sure she's okay.

"Mommy made me feel better." Lexa reveals.

"That's good. Let's pick out your new shoes before leaving. Then Cal will pick out his."

"Okay." Letting Lexa look through the shoes, she picks a dark blue and Grace finds her size before telling her to pick out one more, "Why do I need two?"