"Ina lafiya," she murmured. 

Amina looked doubtful but didn't prod for more answers. "Let's go. Uwa and Uba are waiting for us outside."

Zainab's breath caught and unease bubbled within her. "Do you know what they want to show me?" 

"No. They just told me to bring you outside."

Zainab puffed out a breath. "Honestly I can't bear another shock."

"Don't worry. I'm sure it's not so bad." Amina sent her an encouraging smile.  

Amina opened the door and they stepped outside into the morning sun. Their parents turned around and smiled. 

"Come here, dear." Zainab's father pulled her close. "Have a look at this."

Zainab followed the direction her father was pointing and her jaw dropped in shock. 

"You got a new car!" she exclaimed as she stared at the red BMW convertible car parked in front of the house.  

Her father grinned. "Yes, I did. And it's for you." 

"Me?" Her eyes bulged.

"Yes." Her mother drew closer and handed her a file and the car keys.  "It's your birthday present." She smiled. 

"Really?" Zainab gaped.  

Her father wrapped his arm around her. "Happy birthday, dear. We didn't plan for things to get so bad yesterday."

Zainab looked between her father and mother and a smile slowly spread across her lips. For that moment, she pushed away the thoughts of her disastrous birthday and hugged her parents.  

 "Thank you both so much." She grinned.  "You guys got me my dream car. I can't believe it." Her eyes sparkled with happiness. 

"The sooner you believe it the better," Amina said and embraced her. "Congrats, sis. Just know you owe me a long drive." She smirked. 

"Of course, I do, but for now I gotta go," Zainab said and rushed down the steps leading to her new car.  

"Don't forget your meeting with Danladi," her father called after her. "I will send you the details about the venue."

Her expression fell but she tucked her sorrow away.  "Don't worry, Uba, I will be there," she said as she unlocked the car and slid inside.  

She inhaled the smell of the leather seats and marvelled at the sleekness of the interior. The engine roared to life as she turned on the ignition. Her hand gripped the wheel and she pressed on the right gears to get the car moving. The car zoomed out of the compound and down the highway. And she let out an excited whoop. 

The wind blew on her face and a smile graced her lips.  For that moment, she forgot all her pains.  She turned on the music player and jived to the pulsing beats of Abba's Dancing Queen.  

Forty-five minutes later, she sped passed the gates of her University and manoeuvred into the student's parking lot.  She alighted and pranced into the tall yellow building with eyes and a grin. A cold gust of wind from the AC slapped her but she barely noticed.   

After taking two right turns, she arrived at the hall for the first class of the day. She grinned as she sported her best friend, Mariam, towards the back of the class.  Mariam sighted her and waved her over. Zainab sauntered to her and plopped down on the empty seat beside her.  

"Hey, gurl. Happy birthday," Mariam said as they shared a hug.  

"Thanks." Zainab grinned and stretched out her palm. "Where's my present?" Mischief shimmered in her eyes.