Chapter 21

Brooke POV

I could hear movement downstairs. I didn't want to go down there, because all I'd see was pity. 

I couldn't stay in bed forever though, so I reluctantly disentangled myself from the sheets and shuffled to the door. 

To my surprise, Michael was standing outside. He smiled at me, but I could see the sympathy in his eyes and I hated it.

"Hey Brooke! You ready to go downstairs?"

Would I have left the room if I didn't want to go downstairs?

I pushed my snarky thoughts out of my mind and nodded quietly. They couldn't control their emotions, but I could control mine. Maybe it's a boy thing.

We reached the kitchen table and Michael cleared his throat. As if it was rehearsed, all of my other brothers turned toward me with a happy smile. 

I guess they thought it would make me feel better? It didn't. It looked insanely creepy.

"Brooke! We made mac and cheese, come have some!" I wasn't super hungry, but I'm sure they'd make me eat anyway so I didn't protest. 

I stared at the massive portion in front of me and reluctantly looked up at Marcus for the first time.

"I...can't eat this. There's too much and my stomach can't handle it."

"Brooke, I know you can't eat all that. Just eat as much as you can, ok?" His gentle voice made my eye twitch. 

If anyone else treated me like I was their dead grandmother's china, I'd explode. Nevertheless, I was grateful that I didn't have to eat all of it.

I dug in and was relieved that none of them brought up the abuse.

"So Brooke, I have some questions." Spoke too soon, damnit.

"Did Benny ever...ever touch you?"

"I mean, yeah, as you can see by the bruises," I answered dryly. I knew exactly what they were referring to, but I wanted to avoid that topic as much as possible.

"No, I mean...did he ever touch you sexually?"

What the hell was wrong with them? They just forced me to open up with the abuse and after my big speech they want me to open up even more? 

I've known them for literally three days! Trust issues are a thing, ya know.

I shifted uncomfortably. "I feel like that's a sensitive question that shouldn't be asked at this time." Diplomacy. See? I'm polite.

"Brooke, this is not up for negotiation. Please answer the question." Marcus's voice was hard. So much for the pity. I'd rather have people crying than answer this question.

I smiled so large even a blind man could tell it was fake. "Yes, yes he did. And now that you've forced another traumatic incident out of me, anima e corpore egrediatur, Marcus." 

I gracefully stood up, pushed my chair in, and began walking calmly away. I marched steadily to the front door, opened it gently, and quietly shut it. 

I walked down the driveway and turned toward the security cameras. Smiling my widest, I gave a sharp salute with my middle finger.

Then I bolted.

Latin: anima e corpore egrediatur

English: may your soul leave your body

A/N Basically a polite way of telling someone you hope they die and also my personal favorite Latin phrase. I use it a lot

Daniel POV

Goddamnit Marcus. He never learns. He always wants to be right, always wants to know everything. And now it's backfiring. 

We all suspected Benny was telling a half-lie, but to ask her with no warning, in front of everyone? Absolutely unacceptable. We all stared at him, so angry that we looked calm.

"I'm sorry, Marcus, in what universe would anyone think that would be ok? You thought 'hmm, let's ask her this super prying question in front of everyone' and decided that would be a great thing to do? 

"Your already depleted brain cells must have fallen out for you to think that would be alright in any circumstance. 

"It wasn't life-threatening, it wasn't something that was physically harming her at the time, it was only to satisfy your own morbid curiosity. Congratulations, I think you just lost our sister for good."

At the end of the most sarcastic, hate-filled speech I've ever heard, Lucas stood up and ran for the garage, barely stopping to snatch a pair of sneakers from the shoe rack. 

Michael and I rose from our seats simultaneously, choosing to ignore the bombshell Brooke dropped on us, and sprinted after him, leaving Marcus alone at the table looking shocked.

Lucas slammed on the accelerator in reverse, almost running over the mailbox in his haste.

"She'll go for the subway station, that's where she went last time. I just hope we can get there before she gets on one because if she does...we've lost her forever."

We sat in grim silence, the only sound the revving of the motor.

The car hadn't even stopped before Michael and I jumped from it, running full-tilt into the station.

"Brooke! Brooke, where are you? I promise, I'll save a punch for Marcus from you if you just come back!" I glanced at Michael, bewildered by his bribe. 

He shrugged. "What? It seems like something she'd like to do."

We split up, running through the vast space and looking for a teenage girl in a hoodie. WHY WERE THERE SO MANY? I must have looked like a creep looking at all of them. 

Some glanced at me and muttered things under their breath, and one girl pulled out pepper spray before I apologized and backed away. 

Lucas came into the station, having finally found parking, breathing heavily and looking around wildly. "Did you find her? Where is she?"

"She...she's not...she's not here. Oh God, she's not here. She's gone." My voice trailed off to a whisper as I realized there would be no finding her like this.

"THE HELL SHE'S GONE!" Lucas's booming voice made the people around him flinch and look at him suspiciously. 

Michael hung his head. "Lucas, there's nothing we can do. She's really resourceful, there's no way we'd be able to find her."

"She has no money or food and she doesn't know where she's going. We can find her." Lucas's raw certainty instilled new hope into us. 

We all had the same thought at the same time: "SECURITY CAMERAS!"

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  Marcus is an idiot.  He's based off my brother, so it shouldn't be a surprise.  Also y'all I am SO CLOSE.  A few more chapters and I'll be done.