Chapter 15

Brooke POV

They knew. They knew, and Benny was going to kill me. I knew the consequences of someone finding out, and I tried to hide it, but they knew.

I was curled up in a warm chest, but whose I didn't know. All I could see was memories of Benny, like when I didn't have dinner ready on time and he brought out a whip.

When he brought his friends over and told them to have fun for the night. Oh God, the rape. I couldn't tell them about that. It was the lowest point in my life, and they'll think I'm weak for it. I hate myself for what Benny and my clients did.

Whatever happens, they cannot find out about it. I need an excuse, a really good one. My brain wasn't working, nothing was. Memories were racing through my head like a bad movie. I couldn't focus on anything but the torment.

I was thrashing, lost in haunting memories, only able to hear Benny's laugh and feel his anger. Finally another voice broke through the haze.

Brooke, you're ok. You're safe, you're with us. We love you, don't worry. You're so strong, you're so brave. You'll be ok, I promise.

I held onto that gentle voice like a drowning man holds onto a lifejacket. I didn't know who it was, but it comforted me and felt familiar. I fought my way out of the flashbacks and raised my head to see...Daniel?

He would be the last person to comfort me, or so I thought. He smiled gently at me and held my head to his chest, rocking me back and forth. I hadn't felt this kind of safety in years, ever since Mom died.

I could see the questions swimming in his eyes. I needed an amazing excuse, the excuse of all excuses. As if on cue, he opened his mouth and asked the inevitable question: "Brooke, what happened to you?"

I forced tears into my eyes (not hard considering the circumstances) and began my act.

"Ever...ever since Mom *hiccup* died, people have been bullying me. It got to the point where I was scared to go to school. And before you ask, I did ask for help. But my main bully was the daughter of the principal, so it was useless.

"When they found out I had said something, they beat me up. Anyway, a c-couple days before Benny was arrested, I got jumped after school. It was the worst they had ever done to me.

"Apparently they thought I had told someone again, but I hadn't. I barely managed to get home without passing out. I didn't tell Benny for the same reason I didn't tell you:

"I felt weak and embarrassed that they could hurt me like that without me fighting back. That's where the bruises on my ribs are from, and my nose."

If that doesn't convince them, they must be human lie detectors. I mean, some of it was true, like how I tried to tell someone and why I didn't tell them when I first arrived. I could think of several people at school who bullied me verbally, though never physically like I said.

Daniel sighed. "I wish you would have told us before, but I'm glad you finally did. I'll talk to Marcus and we'll arrange a doctor's appointment to get you checked out. And before you say anything, that is absolutely non negotiable."

A doctor wasn't in my plans. They would be able to tell that the abuse went far beyond a few punches at school.

"No Daniel, please please no. I can't go to a hospital, that's where I saw Mom last. It's too hard," I ended in a pleading whisper. Hopefully that would convince him.

He nodded his head gently and said, "It's ok. We don't have to go to a hospital, we have our own doctor here." And my plans just went down the drain.

Daniel POV

She looked horrified at the mention of the doctor, like she was scared of something. I was sympathetic to her reasoning of not wanting to go to the hospital, but she absolutely needed to be checked up on. There was no way she could get out of that.

I snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of hyperventilating and jerked my head towards Brooke. Her eyes were glazed over and she was gasping for breath. The mention of the doctor must have triggered something.

I hugged her to my chest until her breathing evened out. She seemed asleep. I sighed in relief and removed my arms from around her body, tiptoeing out of the room and shutting the door.

I could hear the sounds of arguing coming from Marcus' office and I rolled my eyes, hurrying forward to shush them. "Shut up, she's finally asleep."

Marcus twisted his head towards me. "Talk." Ok, could do with some manners, but whatever.

"She said she was bullied heavily. Ever since Mom died, so 5 years. Physical. I didn't get names."

Marcus' eyes darkened. "She's lying. There's no way bullying could do that amount of damage."

Lucas chimed in, "I didn't see everything; what exactly is wrong?"

Marcus took a shuddering breath. "Her ribs...were purple. You could see them sticking out. They were misaligned. Every single inch of skin was covered with bruises. There's faded and still healing cuts all over her torso. That's all I saw; who knows what the rest of her body looks like?"

"You saw all that from 2 seconds of a raised shirt?" Lucas' jaw was dropped. Marcus shrugged, "I'm observant."

"There's something else, Marcus. She's terrified of the doctor, had a panic attack when I mentioned it. Says it's got something to do with Mom dying. I have a feeling there's another reason, though."

His eyes narrowed to tiny slits. "She's done nothing but lie since she got here. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know how to help."

His last words were an anguished whisper. I felt his pain; seeing someone you love go through something and not being able to do anything is the worst feeling.

That feeling as you watch them slowly sink lower and lower until they hit the bottom and can't take it anymore. The deterioration of their character, their key values, causing them to fall into a deeper depression.

And finally, seeing the results of their lost struggle. I can't let that happen to Brooke; I won't.

Michael's eyes filled with tears. "How do we help someone who won't tell us the truth?"

Lucas' voice was barely a whisper, but we all heard him. "We can't.

"The hell we can't," Marcus said with determination. "I have a plan. It's not a particularly gentle one, but it just might work."

Y'all I'm trying to update regularly again. Try to guess what Marcus's plan is, I guarantee you'll be surprised. And also furious. I was angry just writing it. Have fun!