Chapter 8 - Turning Point

Some time over the next week, I unconsciously crossed a threshold.

"Amana, can we go clothes shopping?" I asked.

Her face lit up. "Why the sudden change?"

"I don't really know." I shook my head. "I just sort of feel like I'm wearing someone else's clothes."

"Sort of true," Amana agreed. "Or you could consider them a gift from Kaeru."

"But, she bought them for herself. The colours and styles are what she likes, and what she likes to wear."

"Mm, I get you. Should we invite the other girls?"

I shook my head again. "You're the only one who really knows what I like."

"Aha, the perks of a childhood friend!" Amana grinned. "Alright. I'll check for sales."

"Sure. I'll leave where to go up to you."

"Gonna buy new underwear, too?"

I flinched. "People can't see that, it's fine as is."

Amana folded her arms behind her back and leaned in, whispering, "I might see it."

I took a few steps back and covered my ear. "I'd want to pick it out myself for that!"

Amana giggled. "What'll you do with the old clothes?"

"I haven't thought that far."

"You could donate them, or sell them, or keep them around in case you want them later..."

"Hmm." I brought a hand to my chin and thought it over. "I'll post them all in the group chat. Five hundred yen per piece. If that doesn't work, Mercari or Jimoty or something I guess."

Amana covered her mouth and laughed. "You might be able to wring some cash out of Natsue that way. Want me to take pictures of you modelling them?"

"I guess that'd sell them better."

We spent the next few hours in my room. I changed into each outfit I owned, then posed as Amana wished for a photo or two. Since we had already seen everything of each other, I didn't have any reservations about Amana seeing me in my underwear.

Once we finished, I set the clothes aside to wash later while Amana began searching through sales.

The next day, Amana dragged me around to various stores, some of which I'd never heard of. Sales meant crowds, but Amana traversed them like a fish in water while I did my best to keep up. We couldn't use the changing rooms, so I relied on Amana's expertise to judge whether clothes would fit.

After a few hours, I sat down on a bench to catch my breath, five bags lined up next to me. Kaeru liked colourful clothes while I preferred black or white. Though, I still chose feminine styles, not wanting a tomboy aesthetic.

Amana began counting on her fingers. "We got warm weather clothes, chilly day clothes, rainy day clothes, formal clothes, and exercise clothes. All we need now is a swimsuit."

I gave her a flat stare.

"Come on, people will make fun of you if you go to the beach with your school swimsuit!"

"Hmm." I began considering it. I could wear underwear in front of other girls, so a bikini wouldn't be too much different. However, I didn't want men to see me like that. A one-piece swimsuit would be fine, I wore those in gym class during swimming, but I wondered if Amana would let me get away with that.

"Your body's really nice," Amana praised. "The more you're willing to show, the better."

"I've seen people wearing like, hoodies at the beach," I said cautiously. "If I get one of those, a bikini would be fine, maybe."