ONE

This used to be another story but I got bored of the other one, as in, I had no idea of what else to do SOOOO. I changed it up a little bit 😛 FIRST STORY PUBLISHED OFFICIALLY, it's almost fully written, it's going to be short sooo i accept any criticisms or things you wished could be better here, hope you enjoy!

Also, I think the Pop Goes Ambient covers do really well with this story if you want to listen to some music!

ONE

As another school year started, the weather slowly changed and the mood transformed. Everyone was excited to take in the new year and have fun as much as possible, but there was the sense of dread of starting the cycle of studying, all nighters, mid terms and finals.

Edgar was now rushing in the middle of the semester, getting out of the house, freshly showered and a new leather jacket, combined with his dark pants and thin shirt, he was ready to walk to school after being lectured by his mother because of the cold weather. The weather was really quick to change in his small town, Aberwood, as the summer went away quickly and autumn fell everywhere.

School also started relatively late for a normal year, mostly because they started around October when most schools did earlier. That had to do with local traditions and all sorts of cultural differences between towns in that specific area. This usually meant students would have holidays later and shorter school hours.

The path to school was fairly simple, Edgar rushed through the different small roads, surrounded by big, long trees and an intense fog that he grew used to. In fact, he loved it, combining with his own personality, it wasn't rare for him to go on long walks around the perimeter to catch the intense fog and its combination with the environment. When he first watched twilight, he started calling it Twilight weather to piss people off.

In his town, it was regular for most people to rush to their jobs and schools around the same time in the morning, making the streets and the town pretty busy very quickly. Still, in a way, it was a quiet and small town different from the others, not really catching people's attention on the map. That way it was able to maintain some of its own specialties.

Couples would walk down the road, holding hands and speaking loudly, hanging out, going on dates or going to their jobs. Groups of friends dispersed and walked with heavy backpacks towards the nearest schools. Edgar knew some of them since primary school, others were new students, usually coming with their parents or had just moved in.

One specific tradition in that town, so common that at some point it just became part of people's lives, was finding out their soulmates, the other half. It was common for people in this town to find their other half in a matter of a few years after turning 17. Everyone was born with the intention of finding someone to spend their lives with others. So, walking around town, it was not uncommon to see so many couples walking around, how rare it was to find people walking around alone, widowed or just single.

The system consisted with matching people to each other through their marks that would show up once they were born. It was not very complex and its origins are still messy and unknown, but everyone is born with a faint mark in any part of the body and it was designed to match with someone else's. People grew up learning and dreaming about who they were going to be with, but it was a mystery untill they turned seventeen, which eventually became the most important age for most.

The process was quite simple for the average. Most find their halves by seeing their marks, turning from a faint colour to a darker tone and it has to be the same as themselves. But not everyone was that lucky, and sometimes it takes people more time to find them than most. One doesn't feel the undeniable desire to be with someone just by staying next to them or near them, the eye contact doesn't warn anything, but small signs do.