Chapter 19

(A/N) I should warn you that the chapter's end has a disturbing reveal that may affect some readers. Please comment if it's too much, and I can change it. I included it because of inspiration from Guardians of Childhood.

 I included it because of inspiration from Guardians of Childhood

Her name was Katherine.

That was what the moon told her.

Katherine's memories of how she died were a little fuzzy, but she remembered her life before being chosen. She expected to feel grief over the loss, but a sense of peace over the memory kept her grounded. 

A gift of the moon, perhaps?

Kailash honked at her, nudging at her hand.

Katherine smiled at her spirit companion, petting his head fondly, "Thank you for accompanying me," her foot bumped into something, and she looked down to see a stone tablet, "What's this?"

She picked it up and dusted it off. It seemed familiar, but what was strange was the sudden draw she felt while holding it.

Once upon a time...

The words popped unbidden into her mind as the tablet reacted to her touch. A golden emblem of a goose appeared, lifting from the stone surface and manifesting into a solid form. To her delight, the gander took flight and circled around her head.

She let out a giggle, surprising herself at breaking the silence, causing her to giggle again. Her curiosity pushed her actions, and she slid a hand along the tablet. The tablet came alive at the touch, sending a stream of strange symbols, pictures, and markings into the air. Information flooded into her mind, ranging from the mundane to the completely fantastical. 

Endless stories... Endless information... Endless imagination...

A distant honk stole her attention as a shadow passed overhead.

Katherine looked up, her face lit up in recognition at the sight of a large snow goose overhead.

"Kailash!"

The newly awakened spirit of preservation greeted his fellow spirit with a joyful cry before slamming into her arms. The two rolled on the grass, happily reuniting for the first time since their awakening.

It was the start of a new beginning.