Chapter Twenty-One: Clarke

All of us are deadly silent as we walk through a field of tall grass. Every one of my nerves is on edge since I am so clearly aware of how far we are into Ice Nation territory. Indra and I lead the group since we know the land the best and I can pick up on tracks due to my hunting skills.

Monty and his mother share a few words, something about what happened to Monty's dad.

When Bellamy and Pike start talking to each other, I focus on on the sound of their voices to hear what they're saying.

"Can I ask you a question?"

Bellamy must nod because I hear no response before Pike continues.

"Last report we got on the Ark, you were under attack by Grounders. What changed?"

"Turns out we had a common enemy," says Bellamy.

"What happened to them?"

"We won."

"Quiet," Indra cuts in, holding up a hand. I stop walking and mentally kick myself for focusing on Bellamy and Pike rather than the task at hand. "Listen."

There's a faint rhythmic thumping in the distance.

"War drums," states Kane.

"Azgeda," says Indra.

Monty looks at Indra. "You can tell it's Ice Nation from the sound?"

"No," she answers. I follow her gaze to the left to see three dead Ice Nation warriors lying on the ground. "From them."

Kane lunges down, getting into position with his gun. I draw a knife from my belt, looking all around us.

"We need to get those bodies off the field." Pike is at it again; making orders when he's not the one in charge. "Unless you're good with them thinking we did this."

Kane nods. "Go. Hurry."

"Wait." Bellamy's got his gun pointing in a different direction. "Two people at twelve o'clock." He looks through the scope of the gun. "It's Clarke." He starts marching in her direction, but is stopped by Pike.

"Hey, you'll never make it in time," says Pike.

I hate to agree with him, but I do. "He's right. Look." I point over to the people carrying flags on the other side of the field. Flags that bare the symbol of Ice Nation.

"No way we get across without being seen," Monty says.

Bellamy looks through the scope from the army then to Clarke. He lowers the gun.

"We should lay low, let the army pass." For once, Pike seems to not annoy me. "Then we find Clarke."

I scan the perimeter of the field. "There is a cave. There."

Everyone turns their heads to see the cave in the tree line.

"We just got lucky," says Pike.

Everyone begins to follow me as Indra speaks. "I can't go with you."

"Why?" asks Kane.

"Ice Nation has crossed the border, meaning they're marching against my commander. I have to warn them."

"I'll get Clarke," voices Kane.

Indra bows her head. "You better. If the Ice Queen gets her first, she'll be dead. And we'll be at war." She walks away, creeping back through the grass.

We continue to the cave.

______

Bellamy has been watching the entrance of the cave the entire time we have been here.