Chapter 25: Corporate Curtain Falls

Start from the beginning

"Bye, Mr. Douchbag!" Luffy grinned maliciously, waving his hand until the emissary, accompanied by the two imposing Straw Hats, exited the kitchen.

-----------------------------------------

"Zoro, what were you-" Iris's voice was abruptly silenced by a high-pitched roar.

"YOU!" Deliops teetered on the edge between panic and rage. "TO WHOM WERE YOU TRANSMITTING THAT?"

As smug as ever, Zoro retorted, "Why don't you come here and find out?"

"INSOLENT SCUMBAG!" Deliops quivered in anger. Just then, the door from the cellar swung open, revealing a man in a black suit who approached to whisper something to Deliops.

"Who?" Deliops demanded.

The man simply handed a snail transponder to Deliops, who paled visibly upon hearing the voice on the other end. There was a back-and-forth conversation, but Iris and Zoro could only make out Deliops' desperate pleas and complaints.

"But... Wait, I was just... Can we, can we talk about this, Father, please..."

Father.

Iris's eyes widened. It brough a feeling of dread to her chest, but also made all the pieces click. Her curiosity was piqued as the man in the black suit unfolded a small table and revealed a paper on it, one she couldn't read from where she was standing. Deliops, in turn, dropped to the floor in front of it, whimpering and sniffling as he continued to protest over the phone.

The man, unamused by the outburst, gently coaxed the phone from Deliops, exchanged a few words with the person on the other end, and then placed it on the table. He handed a pen to Deliops, who appeared entirely opposed to the idea of signing, yet finally did so anyway.

The scene was bizarre to Iris and Zoro, yet they found a certain satisfaction in witnessing Deliops in such a helpless state. None of them have any idea of what could have caused him to become this whimpering mess, not that it would be difficult to make him cry, but they held no sympathy for him.

After the matter seemed resolved, the man in the black suit took the snail transponder from the table.

Iris and Zoro exchanged puzzled glances. The man in the black suit, with movements rehearsed and precise, approached Iris, placing the snail transponder in her hand.

"Good evening," greeted a voice on the other end. A deep voice, ruined by more than forty years of smoking the most expensive cigars, teleported Iris to the darkest years of her life.

"I know you're there," he continued after a pause that indicated he wasn't going to receive an equivalent greeting.

Suppressing the whirlwind of emotions stirred by that voice, Iris responded in a cold, calculated demeanour, "I am."

Another pause ensued, after which the voice seemed to reveal a glimpse of softness. "There's a plaque in the mausoleum with your name. We've placed flowers there every week without fail."

"Orchids. Your mother made sure the maids picked the best," he added.

"How kind." Iris replied, her tone neutral, "Of course, I have always found sad how flowers tend to be the currency of guilt."

Another pause, this time slaughtered by her father clearing his throat, "I was under the impression you might have some questions for me."

Yes, many. Iris had a thousand questions. Did they look for her? Why didn't they come for her? Does he feel sorrow? All questions she wouldn't voice, because the truth is, no answer would matter. She couldn't pinpoint exactly when, but she had detached completely from that part of her past.

With renewed peace withing herself, she said, "Perhaps in the past. But not anymore."

"That's... respectable," the voice conceded. "You've come a long way from the loud, troublesome child you once were. Nonetheless, I can't say I was surprised by what became of you."

There was a pause, as if the man were lost in memories, or contemplating how life's wildest events often appear predictable in hindsight.

"Alas, life hasn't favoured me," he continued. "An undignified daughter who plays pirate as my first child and a dimwit incapable of even pouring a cup properly as my second."

He let out a long sigh before instructing, "Sign the papers, and you will officially be disassociated from the family name."

The man in the black suit placed a contract on the makeshift table and handed Iris a pen. She hesitated, quickly scanning the document. "What's the catch?"

"That's insulting, Iris," the voice chided. "Only lowly businessmen stoop to deceit in a deal. Signing this paper benefits both parties." That phrase screamed Deliops. "You get to make a name for yourself, and my company avoids potential legal strife."

The muffled sniffles from Deliops were barely audible now, but it was when Iris grabbed the pen to sign that she saw his brother's signature next to where she had to put her name. So that's why he's crying. She had to supress a grin.

Satisfied after scrutinizing the document twice, just in case, Iris signed it.

"It's done, Mr. Medici," the man in a black suit confirmed.

"Ah, perfect," The voice oozed satisfaction and relief. "I hope to never have to deal with any of you again. Farewell." he concluded. The snail transponder went silent, and the man in the black suit returned it to his pocket. With a short salute, he exited the cellar, leaving a whirlpool of confusion behind.

"I have no idea how you pulled this off," Iris spoke, still standing where she was, trying to make sense of what has transpired, "but thank you." The general thread was obvious now, the details not so much. The only undeniable fact was that Zoro has, once and for all, saved her.

"Still think I can't plan ahead, eh?" Zoro put a hand on her shoulder, making her turn to face him.

She threw herself to him, snuzzling in his chest with a big hug. In an instant, her bleak future became a world of possibilities with the person she loves. "I love you," and she completely means it, with every part of her heart, "but there is no way you made this happen on your own," she giggled.

"Shut it, idiot," Zoro hugged her back. The pain from the previous beating and past injuries could fuck off, he was hugging her with all his heart. Resting his head on top of hers, he whispered, "I love you too. Keep that in mind next time you try to do something stupid like leaving."

"Thanks for ignoring everything I said." He could feel her crying in her voice, but they were happy tears.

"Always," he half joked. Iris laughed too. And that sound, he thought, is his favourite song from her, one he plans to listen to the rest of his days. 

___________________________

Hi! 

I'll be setting up a tumblr account, if you wanna follow: miss-headache

I'll be writing shorter pieces for One Piece, Sandman, JoJo, Sherlock and any other character that sparkles my interest. 

Hope you liked this chapter. Next one ---> Chapter 26: Stolen Moment