It was way too early. Yet something made Kit wake up. Her blanket was light but she was still so warm, she was uncomfortable. She lifted the blanket slowly and put it at the back end of her hammock. She heard a damp sound at the deck. Kind of like somebody was playing guitar. Lennox should currently be on duty and at first Kit thought it was him who played something.

As she couldn't sleep anyways, Kit stood up and got herself a glass of water before she went upstairs. Couldn't hurt to check up on Lennox. The stairs creaked. Kit hoped she didn't wake anyone up. She slowly opened the door to the - still quite dark - night. The Crucis was quietly sailing over the ocean. Waves were slowly pushing the ship left and right. The air was moist and cold. Kit shivered. She should have taken a jacket with her.

She went around to the front of the ship. Without the light pollution of cities she could finally see the stars. Kit took a few minutes just standing on deck and gazing up at the stars. However it was getting harder to see them sparkle in the sky. The sun was rising. Kit could not see it yet but the sky was definitely getting lighter and redder.

"Kit? Is that you?" Kit spun around. Tess was looking very tired. "Hey. Good morning", said Kit. "You look tired" Tess rolled her eyes. "I know I guessed as much. I took over for Lennox. I couldn't sleep. So I thought I might as well do something nice for him. He went to sleep half an hour ago." Kit looked at the guitar laying in the deck cabin. Tess followed her gaze. "He said I can use it if I want to, just to be careful. I had hoped it would be quieter than my accordion." Kit smiled. "Well it woke me up." "Yes I figured." Tess put on auto-pilot.

They sat down on the deck shoulder to shoulder holding hands watching the sky. Tess, being shorter, put her head on Kit's shoulder. The sky was becoming more and more red. "The sky look so soft. Like cotton candy." Kit smiled. "I don't like cotton candy. The texture- the tooth-rotting sugar... It's really not my thing. " Tess shivered. "Ah well, what do you like then? Popcorn?" Kit nods. "Weirdly enough I prefer sweet popcorn over salty." "I like popcorn too. Both sweet and salty"

After a while of silence Tess started to hum some random rhythms. "Can you play something?" Tess stopped humming. "Yes, sure. But you know I'm still learning..." "If you want to learn you have to play." Tess could feel Kit grin in her hair. Tess smiled back. "What should I play?" Kit stopped leaning on Tess' head so that she could stand up.

Smiling, Tess stood up to get Lennox' black guitar. Kit, still sitting on the floor, was watching her. She loved this girl. It probably wasn't love at first - or second - sight. Still over time they kind of drifted towards each other. The most fashionable, cool headed girl with the awesome pirate princess voice.

Now she was looking for her friends' guitar, Lennox completely trusting her with his favourite, fully ready to play any song just for her. This early morning. In cherry-red lighting.

When Tess came back she saw Kit staring at her with an aww-filled gaze. "You know I love you right?"

Tess was not ready for this. A love confession this early in the morning. In cherry-red lighting. Her partner sitting next to the door, looking up at her, grinning like an absolute lovestruck idiot. Which she probably was. But she was also her partner.

Also she probably wasn't looking any better, staring at her with a slightly opened mouth. She put down the guitar carefully, then Tess grabbed Kits face and kissed her. Kit reciprocated immediately. "Yes I know. I absolutely know you fish!" Kit punched her lightly. "Hey, that's not a very nice way to treat your girlfriend." Kit pulled her into another kiss. "Is that more to your taste, normie?" They smiled at their bickering.

Tess grabbed the guitar and started to play "Cheshire Kitten" as well as singing softly. "Sammy loves this song doesn't he?" "Yes but I like it too." They were both whispering. "I Don't Want To Think About It" was next.

Kit slightly leant on Tess. She was feeling tired again. "I think I will try to sleep again. You're so comfortable." Tess smiled. She started to play some random cords just as she was before Kit showed up. Kit was leaning more and more on her.

Tess didn't know if she still was awake when she whispered under her breath "You know I love you too right?" The sun was rising over the horizon just now.