Chapter Two

I climbed in my car and hurriedly shut the door. I let my head fall back on the headrest as I covered my face and grinned. I did it!

Plus, the publicity for my new book release date was exactly what I needed. I had gotten a call from my publicist saying the interview was wonderful and she was proud of how I handled the Noah crap.

My excitement was quick to die once I thought over what was said. I had officially announced the release date, which was only a few months away, and...I wasn't sure I could make it. Every time I felt nervous like this, I did the same thing.

I grabbed my phone and dialed my mom's number. She picked up on the first ring. "Cass!" Mom greeted me with a high-pitched voice. That indicated her excitement, her pride. "Oh, it was wonderful. I'm so mad at Sunny for asking some of those questions but you handled them like a queen! I can't believe my baby is on TV, gosh, I'm so proud of you!"

My cheeks flushed lightly as I set my phone down and put it on speaker. I buckled up and turned the car on. It came to life. "Thanks, mom."

I pulled out of the studio parking lot. I was more than ready to leave and hopefully never return. I was sick of these stupid public events. I was always being pestered by them. Just once, I wanted some time for myself. Just some peace and quiet away from the loud noise and constant demands.

"How are you feeling right now?" Mom asked. A sigh whooshed out of me.

Hesitantly, I admitted, "I'm worried. My deadline isn't that far away, and I'm stuck. I can't get anywhere. They're nagging at me, and I can't, I just can't do it. Every time I sit down and try to write I stare at a blank document for hours. If I can't finish it on time, and if the writing isn't done, my career could be over, Mom."

"That's a lot of pressure," she agreed as I flipped on my blinker and turned right onto a main road. I let myself relax, knowing I was okay for now. I was away from the questions, the camera drilling a hole in my head.

I chewed on my lip as I merged. There was a small silence. I thought about visiting her. She was three hours away from the studio.

"Do you mind if stop by?" I asked out of the blue. From my house, Mom lived three hours away, and what with my schedule, I hardly got to see her. She didn't drive too much herself, and I was already on the road anyway. My computer is in the backseat if I got inspiration to write over there.

"Oh, that would be wonderful," Mom gushed.

"I just need a break from all this crap, and you always make everything better. Would I intrude if I stay the night?"

Mom scoffed to say as if. "Please, your bedroom has been collecting dust. It misses you."

I miss you, she meant.

A smile formed effortlessly. Not the painful ones that I put on for TV, the real, painless one that only she could cause. "Thanks, mom. I'll see you there, okay?"

"I'll bake some cookies! Oh, I already have so many things planned for us," she exclaimed. I could practically feel her smile through the phone. Mom and I didn't agree on much, but she really cared about me.

After dad died two months ago, we hit a bit of a rough patch. We were constantly fighting. Both of us handled our sorrow differently. She was numb, but I thought she was careless. We yelled at each other so much.

In the end we were all each other had. We weren't foolish enough to let that go. We missed him so much sometimes we felt crazy, but we deal with it.

My smile widened at the thought of seeing her again. It had been so long since I felt any kind of normalcy. It was all about writing nowadays.