Chapter Seventy Six: Got Turned On By Remus's Clavicle Once.

Start from the beginning

However, that would have been entirely false.

While Freya was flummoxed about by her desire, rushing Wolfsbane and her monthly bills, others in her Defense Against the Dark Arts class were planning their next move both in war and in love.

Barty Crouch Jr. watched Freya through the corner of his eye as he listened to Professor Magnus's lecture. Again, it was boring, especially for those invested in the Dark Arts since their second year. Again, it was all about defense. That's what the Ministry wanted the future generations to know during the War. Breeding an age of those who could cast a shield elegantly was their method of trying to control the casualties. If attack magic was removed from the curriculum, how were the future death eaters expected to attack? They couldn't.

The grand minds of the Wizarding Ministry came up with that logic. They would be in for a real shock when they discovered students could read.

Soon, they were broken up to pair up for practice groups. Naturally, the Marauders paired with themselves. Barty was relieved since he had been on his way to Freya before Magnus had finished her announcement.

Freya was right next to Lily Evans and Marlene McKinnon. Confidently, he slid up beside her like a snake and smiled. "Would you do me the honor?"

Marlene nudged Lily with her elbow teasingly, but Freya held her composure. "Of course, Barty."

They paired off and found a nice, quiet corner to practice. After bowing dramatically, Barty shot off a spell to the curly-haired witch, and she deflected it without blinking. A grin that made his dimples come out to play colored his face. He loved it when she did that. "Brilliant. You're practically an auror."

"With their standards, I would not be surprised." She replied, and Barty felt butterflies.

He would deny them, though. Especially when Evan Rosier would ask him about his interest in the sharp-tongued girl. He would say she was a potential recruit. And to his surprise, Severus would defend that notion. Severus would cite her mind, skill, and things Barty liked, but that would not be why he wanted her. She was a prize, a hidden diamond that Barty wanted for himself.

Unlike so many of the other students, Freya was made war-ready. He could picture her by his side in battle and then at home, a loyal wife.

Barty was a boy with a crush and a soon-to-be tainted arm.

***

If Sirius Black and Freya Grey had put the time spent flirting into time spent on Wolfsbane, they could supply the whole castle with enough Wolfsbane to keep them knocked out for several days. However, in their defense, they could hardly afford enough illegal deals to meet that demand.

They had spent longer in the lab than intended, though they should have noticed when the sun's rays faded from the sky sometime during an argument about Spiderman.

Now, they were forced into the shameful trek to their dorms, and Freya's shoelace kept snagging on the tree roots. Pressed beside each other in James Potter's cloak of invisibility, the other felt every move made by one. Almost in the home stretch, Freya's foot faltered on one branch. Quickly, Sirius's hand steadied her side, but she still found herself grabbing his forearm for stability. He let off a soft chuckle. "Careful, Grey; I might think you're just trying to find excuses to touch me."

"Don't flatter yourself." She replied, then let go of his arm.

They crept into the castle with the efficiency of a master. But even with their skill, the Hogwarts Professors had the habit of wandering the halls for a late cup of tea or sneaking back into their rooms after late-night grading. Professor Flitwick's wand lit up the hallway they were about to turn into, and Sirius quickly pulled Freya back and then pushed them both flush to the wall so Flitwick would not accidentally run into them.