"Miss Rosalie," he tilted his head a bit for her. "And..." He was not expecting the company of Agatha.

"This is Miss Agatha. She will be our chaperone."

"Oh, of course," he mumbled.

Rosalie would not mind coming alone, but Anne insisted someone magnified in society to be her chaperone. It would come off as classy and William would take her more seriously. Rosalie was still to choose the man she saw fit among many who had come with proposals. If news got out that she went to the Avondale manor, it would do her good that she was seen with a chaperone. Men loved the idea of an untouched jewel; shiny, spotless, and chaste.

However, what was good for Rosalie was not necessarily good for Agatha. If word got out that she was the chaperone to such a sordid affair, it would do no good to her status in her Season, and most importantly, her Mama would be more than vexed. Which she wanted. Anything to give her Mama a heart attack, while the Earl of Pembroke may rethink his fantasy to propose and wed her.

Stepping into the manor, they were welcomed by the wafting rich scent of wood, roses, and something she could certainly not describe. In short, it was the expensive good life. She was definitely out of place.

The butler led them to the drawing-room, and to her surprise, they found Selina relaxed on a superlative pastel blue settee. Donned in her best as if she had gone out that morning, she read a book with great concentration.

"My Lord will see you soon," the butler told them, "I will tell the kitchen to prepare some tea and biscuits as your refreshments."

At that, Selina lifted her eyes and frowned in confusion. Though she made sure to conceal her surprise as soon as she stood up.

"Miss Agatha—" Selina had started to greet them but was interrupted by her brother coming in.

"Rosalie!" William wore an expression Agatha had never seen on him in the few times they spoke: completely and utterly bewitched. "I was in my study room when they announced your arrival."

Selina took this opportunity to disappear after the butler.

"My Lord, how do you do?" Rosalie's voice suddenly became honey that was sweet to the soul.

To which William grinned at in absolute delight. "Delightful now that I am in your presence."

How was it that in a matter of seconds, Agatha felt like the cloak on the wall. She took a step back to make herself even more insignificant.

"I see you brought yourself a chaperone," William caught sight of her movement. "Miss Agatha," he greeted before his attentions were quickly withdrawn from her, not caring for her response. "Feel at home, Rosalie," he but cooed.

"Such a lovely manor you own," Rosalie echoed Agatha's thoughts.

"Glad that you like it. Would you like a tour?"

"If that will not be a problem," Rosalie agreed.

Taking her hand in his, William led them, and Agatha followed two steps behind to give them space.

"Such paintings must have cost a lot," Rosalie said in awe.

The receiving platform, where there was a huge crystal chandelier hanging from the roof and a cascade of stairs leading to the next floor, also had exquisite paintings of abstract impressionism and pointillism.

"Not quite. Most are my brother's work."

This caught Agatha's attention.

"Your brother paints?" Even Rosalie was shocked. "I would never have taken it to be but professional work."

"It is a passion he has secretly nurtured for more than a decade." There was a hint of pride lacing William's voice.

"A decade? I did not take him to be quite old."

William laughed and Agatha wondered if the Duke looked so carefree and happy when he too laughed. She had never seen him laugh in public. He was always aloof, cold, and rigid, if not carrying his usual look of boredom and lack of interest in what was around him.

Once, as Mama led her out to their carriage after attending a gathering, she had seen him. He was alone, looking at the sky with a sort of stillness as if his soul had left his body. And from within came a feeling she did not want to confess to herself. It was a need to approach him and give him her company, to show him that in the world was someone who could understand and see him.

"He is not old, only 30 years of age."

Agatha shelved that in a secret drawer within her. Nine years older than her, they were so apart in many things: age, status, and upbringing. Maybe that was what made him so interesting. People tend to admire the things they cannot afford for themselves.

They were just leaving William's study when a scream broke from the end of the corridor. "I do not want to!"

"Well, if the Duke finds out you have been lagging behind in your studies during his travel, he shall not take it nicely!" A woman snapped.

"I do not care!"

Rapid steps sounded from the floor before a small boy was revealed in front of them.

"Arthur, that should be enough!" William's once indulgent voice became authoritative and firm.

In a fit of rage, William was not a match for Arthur, who abruptly kicked his brother's leg in frustration and yelled. "You will not tell me what to do! You are not my father!"

Before William could give him his comeback, he had already passed, continuing his run. The woman who had been quibbling with him emerged, gave a rushed apology to William, and then continued her chase after the little boy. Agatha presumed her to be the governess.

The little act left an awkward atmosphere among them. Looking at William, Agatha realized that in all the rough places of the Duke was William softer. He was the angel to his devilish older brother in appearance.

"I was not aware you have a younger brother," Rosalie tried to spark conversation.

"Not many are aware of it, but I do."

Agatha was not surprised why the young one had barely made a public appearance. Such behaviour would give the gossipers something to cater to their whim.

It was later on, before their departure, when William wooed Rosalie.

"Instead of meeting you at a seamy rendezvous, I intentionally brought you to the manor to show my earnest heart for you. You will not be some mistress I am embarrassed to be seen with, but a woman I delight in and shall treat well. Even when I will be forced to marry shall I not abandon you. My feelings are unyielding, and truly do I hope you will consider me."

Agatha sighed. Life was not easy for anyone. Who could refuse that? It seemed Rosalie did not have resistant footing for William's charm.

S.V