Chapter 17 - Yokai

Start from the beginning

Y/N: "Eh, black and purple isn't quite my style but it'll do. Now what should I get up to today?"

I pulled out my phone and decided to call up Kiriko, one call and she doesn't pick up, I try again and she doesn't pick up again but I believe in third times the charm so I gave it one more shot and she picked up.

Kiriko: "What could you possibly need that you have to call me three times?"

Y/N: "Thought I'd hit you up and see what you're up to"

Kiriko: "Umm... Working"

Y/N: "That's cool, just wanted to get someone to guide me around Kanezaka, cause you know... I don't know my way around here"

Kiriko: "Gimme half an hour... meet me at the shrine"

Y/N: "Okay boss"

Kiriko: "You don't have to call me that yet"

The phone then hung up as I began counting down the seconds to pass the time, after a while I was getting bored so I packed some stuff into my duffle bag and putting on the clothes she had organized for me. Other than that I just waited around the shrine she told me about while taking a good look at the statues carved in place as a monumental occasion between the town, its people and their relationship with the Genji's family, the Shimada clan. Looking at one of the statues, I noticed that it looked like the fox I saw by Kiriko during both of the times I've seen her with it becoming clear as I put it together in my head but my thoughts were cut short by a hand touching my shoulder to match a familiar pair of eyes.

Y/N: "Jesus! Don't scare me like that"

Kiriko: "Sorry about that, you were zoning out I take it?"

Y/N: "No... maybe... Okay I was"

Kiriko: "Don't always have to be on edge around me, just relax a little"

Y/N: "Kind of hard when you've proven to kick people around"

Kiriko: "Only the bad people. You've proven to me that you aren't like them, now you have to prove that to the others"

I looked at her questioning what she said as I remembered she wanted me to meet her friends today

Y/N: "Your friends... that's right"

Kiriko: "C'mon, Ill show you around and you can meet them right after"

I nodded at her and she began to show me around starting with the most important place of them all, the shrine of the fox spirit. I knew all the basics that the shrine represented but could've never be invested time enough into learning, it basically represented everything I thought it did from what I knew, but I was surely mistaken. Kiriko took me towards one of the statues, it looked like a very special fox renowned for its markings as it stood upon a boulder of some sort.

Kiriko: "This is what we refer to as, the legendary fox spirit. It is said she looks upon and watches out for all of us in Kanezaka"

Y/N: "You mean to say that there is multiple fox spirits that this town praises?"

Kiriko: "Not entirely, its more accurate that you could think of them like the gods of Greece. This fox spirit is just one offspring of many and is the current protector of Kanezaka, if that makes sense"

Y/N: "Makes sense, but then again I also don't believe in the super natural"

Kiriko: "Alright. Tell me. Can you see that?"