Ch. 18.1 - A Portal to Mystery

Start from the beginning

Jesse: "Lukas? Everything alright?" Lukas sighed.

Lukas: "I was just... ugh. I'm just worried about Axel and Olivia..."

Petra: "What? Why?"

Lukas: "Well, if they followed us back to that Old Builder temple and went through the portal..."Oh...

We came to the conclusion before Lukas gathered the courage to say it himself.

Ivor: "They would arrive in Sky City... to find it overflowing with monsters..."

Lukas: "Yeah..."

Jesse: "Oh man... I hadn't even thought about that. If they followed us... they could be in trouble..."

Petra: "Well, at least we already built them the bridge?"

Ivor: "Well, that is more than we started with."

Jesse: "Okay, let's not jump to conclusions immediately. It hasn't been that many days since we left, maybe Olivia and Axel just think we're on vacation... or we went on another adventure. Remember how long it took us to get to the Farlands?

Plus, even if they did end up going through that portal, a day has already passed since Sky City first got overrun by monsters, so a good majority of the mobs probably burned to death during the day already. Even if they do run into the mobs, it would be way less dangerous than when we encountered them."

Lukas: "Yeah... I hope you're right..."

Petra: "Hey, maybe next time we're in the portal hall, we can leave a sign or something. Tell them which one we're going through... you know... in case they did end up going after us."

Lukas: "You know what? I like that idea."

Jesse: "Okay, but we have to somehow find our way back to that place first. As long as we're stuck in this world, we can't help or contact anyone we know. No matter how you look at it, we can't really do anything before we escape from here."

Ivor: "Well, I for one vote that we not be so hasty to try and get out of here. Who knows what sorts of treasures this new world could hold?"

Petra: "Really, Ivor? That's your priority right now?"

Ivor: "What? Since we're already here, we might as well make the most of it. Besides, unless the next portal is disguised as a tombstone, I'm not seeing it anywhere near here. We would have to go exploring either way, aren't I correct?" I sigh.

Jesse: "Let's just go take a look around." We started looking around. Since we were talking the entire time since we arrived, we didn't get the chance to fully take in what was around us yet. The graveyard wasn't really big. There were only a few gravestones around us, and there was a small, deteriorated stone fence outlining the small graveyard.

The only notable thing here was some sort of gate structure on one side that led us to another part of the graveyard. There wasn't really anything special there either... except for a small pillar on the far end with some sort of item sitting on top of it.

Jesse: "You guys see some sort of... shape over there?"

Petra: "Yeah, what is that?"

Jesse: "Let's find out." We walked over there to investigate. The item I saw in the distance ended up being a book.

Lukas: "That's... a weird place for a book to be in?"

Ivor: "What's written inside?" I took a step forward and grabbed the book from the block it was sitting on. I looked at the cover.

Jesse: "It says 'Invitation.' and then 'Read immediately; your life depends on it!'"

Petra: "Uh, what?" I curiously opened its contents.