Chapter 8

JASMIN

Jasmin groaned. Her head throbbed, and her entire body ached. She opened her eyes, wondering what creative way Wasp had found to kill her. 

She blinked. No. Wasp's dead.

So what am I experiencing right now?

Jasmin tried to sit up, but every single one of her wounds suddenly flared up in pain, and she had to lie back down.

Lie down...I'm not in Wasp's dungeon.

It was just a nightmare.

She let out a sigh, shuddering as she imagined what it would be like to be back in her prison again.

She closed her eyes again, then snapped them open.

If I sleep, she'll come back for me.

Jasmin fought back the waves of exhaustion and forced herself to stay awake. 

I'm never going to see her again. I don't have to worry.

And then she remembered her fight.

FIREFLY

What was that?

Firefly was shaking, clinging on to a stalactite on the cave ceiling. Her arms ached from staying up for so long, and her tail was dangling heavily under her. 

I think I'm safe now. Eclipse is gone.

Firefly let herself drop to the ground, spreading her wings. She felt frightened and confused. Eclipse was Jasmin's pet and faithful partner in crime. She would never have attacked her. 

But...Eclipse could have killed me. She could have climbed the walls and claw me to death. And I couldn't feel any emotions of hate or hunger or anything.

She took a deep breath, trying to slow down her heartbeat. 

I only have to hope that I wasn't actually her victim.

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness decided to dig deeper into the mystery of Darkstalker. An animus, one who could read minds and see the future. Dangerous, alone, and wanting revenge. Just like her. He would be the perfect dragon to help her. 

But where did he go?

After he had risen from the ground, Darkstalker had almost destroyed Pyrrhia, but he had suddenly disappeared. The former Jade Winglet, which included Moonwatcher, Kinkajou, Turtle, Winter, and Qibli, had reassured the world that he was truly gone forever.

So they had something to do with it.

But what did they do to imprison the world's most dangerous dragon?

Brightness frowned. What happened to Darkstalker? She asked her feather. 

He was turned into a young NightWing-RainWing hybrid by Kinkajou of the RainWings, It whispered back.

Kinkajou? She felt an unfamiliar spark of surprise. The bouncy RainWing hadn't seemed like a threat, and she'd certainly never suspected Kinkajou of making Darkstalker disappear. 

Who is this hybrid dragonet? Brightness tried.

A smile bloomed on her snout as she heard the answer.

Peacemaker.