Chapter 18

Escaping

Kaida couldn't believe what her eyes were seeing. The sea whip, in front of her.

"Nets!" someone shouted.

"No! Wait!" The Darkling screamed. "Kaida, do it," Kaida looked at him annoyed and extended her arms towards the mystical animal.

Purple mist started to fly out of her hands towards the sea whip. The purple mist started to surround the creature. The purple mist traveled to the sea whip's eyes and both his and Kaida's eyes turned purple for a few seconds.

Kaida was now able to feel everything the creature felt and all she felt was rage and annoyance.

"Control it," The Darkling told her. Kaida squeezed her eyes shut, concentrating as hard as she could to control it but a sharp pain shot through her head making her scream and fall to her knees.

"Kaida!" Sturmhond ran towards her.

"I can't. I can't control it," she said with pain standing up with Sturmhonds help.

The sea whips started to attack them trying to survive and that made Kaida happy, she didn't want this creature to die.

They started throwing harpoons against the sea whip, one of them fell to the water but the other one lodged in the sea whip's hide.

Kaida screamed with pain.

A second harpoon hit the sea whip making Kaida scream but the sea whip started to sing a beautiful song, the most beautiful song Kaida had ever heard, but somehow it was familiar to her.

Kaida could feel how the sea whip was crying out and that hurt her a lot. Kaida looked at the beautiful creature and connected eyes with her for a few seconds. The sea whip was slowing her moves.

"Nets!" Sturhond screamed. But the mist was so thick that Kaida couldn't even see the person who was next to her.

"Clear the mist, we are losing the longboat," The darkling othered.

The mist disappeared and out of nowhere a ship was next to them a sleek schooner with gleaming masts and colors flying: a red dog on a teal field and below it, in pale blue and gold, the Ravkan double eagle.

Kaida's eyes lit up with joy, the Volkony was in front of her and she couldn't believe it.

A howl went up from somewhere, like a wolf baying at the moon. Men swarmed over the rail onto the whaler's deck, pistols strapped to their chests, cutlasses in their hands, yowling and barking like a pack of wild dogs. Kaida saw the Darkling turn, confusion and rage on his face.

"What the hell is going on?" Mal asked, stepping in front of Alina to protect her.

"I don't know," Alina replied. "Something very good or something very, very bad."

Pistol shots rang out. The air came alive with Inferni fire. "To me, hounds!" Sturmhond shouted.

Sturmhond was turning against the Darkling. Kaida was looking at him convinced that he had lost his mind. Yes, the Grisha were out of number but there was no way they were going to win a fight against The Darkling.

Kaida ran towards the crazy privateer. "Are you alright, my lady?" Sturhond asked her.

"Are you out of your mind?" Kaida asked him.

"I thought you knew that," he said with a smirk.

"You won't win against The Darkling," she said.

"That's why I need you my dear. Now, go for Jake and help me against the Darkling," he said.