014-so it begins

CARLA CUT THROUGH ANOTHER BAG OF SALT AND ADDED IT TO THE KIDDIE POOL.

For about thirty minutes or so, the group had been setting up their sensory deprivation tank with Hawkins Middle School.  Hopper had suggested the place, and it had worked—they'd stolen the 1'500 pounds of salt necessary from the outdoor shed, and were now using the place as a set up because it just worked.

Dustin and Lucas had managed to set up the small kiddie pool on their own within the gym—Carla was surprised they didn't find her for help, but it seemed like a bitch to set-up by their weary expressions— Nancy and Mike having filled it with water using the hose.  Joyce and Eleven had disappeared, leaving Jonathan, Carla and Hopper with the manual work of retrieving and hauling the bags of salt to the gym, as well as dumping them into the pool.

With Eleven and Joyce away, it left the group plenty of time to test out their tank—the last thing they needed was the young girl laying in it only to fall into the water, unsuccessful.  After every few bags of salt, Dustin would set a singular egg on top of the liquid as a buoyancy test.  If the egg floated, El would too. 

It took them a few tries and a ton of salt, but finally, the egg floated. They were ready.

They re-grouped together, all eyes on Eleven as she took off her socks and Mike's watch, which she'd been wearing.  Carla turned the walkie talkie on static before setting it up on the small cart they'd used to hold supplies, moving to kneel beside Jonathan and Nancy.

Joyce gave the girl taped over goggles, and then she was off.

Lying down in the warm water—Carla had made sure it wasn't freezing—the girl floated up to the top, water soaking her dirty pink dress.  Overhead, the lights began to flicker before turning off completely, which Carla had learned was the sign that her powers were working. 

Everyone stayed silent, hands gripping the edge of the pool anxiously, or fidgeting with the other as anticipation grew within.

"Barb?" Eleven muttered after a few moments, breaking the silence. "Barbara?"

The sound of her friend's name has Nancy on edge, and the girl sits up on her knees.  The lights flicker back on for a few moments, which doesn't help her anxiousness at all—it worsens it, actually. "What's going on?"

Mike looks just as confused, "I don't know."

"Is Barb okay? Is she okay?" Nancy's voice is full of concern as she assumes the worst, leaning towards the kiddie pool for an answer from Eleven.

"Gone. Gone. Gone." Eleven begins to say, words coming out in a panic and painful voice despite her ever so still body. The words cause Nancy to put a shaky hand over her mouth because deep down she knows what the little girl means.

Barb was dead. She was gone.

"It's okay. It's okay. It's okay." Joyce tries to reassure the girl, who still continues to chant the word over and over again, voice growing louder and more pain filled with each repeat.  The older woman grabs on to Eleven's hand, as does Hopper from the opposite side. "Hey, it's okay.  We're right here.  We're right here, honey. It's okay, I got you. Don't be afraid. I'm right here with you." The Byers woman continues to spew out reassuring words, only stopping when Eleven cut her off.

"Castle Byers." Eleven muttered, causing Joyce's eyes to widen at her other son, who looks hopeful. Carla tenses, holding tightly on her Jonathan's hand—her other arm was wrapped around Nancy in a show of comfort. "Will?"