005-it never should have happened

"ONE! TWO! THREE!" TOMMY HAGAN YELLED, ABOUT TO TOSS HIS GIRLFRIEND INTO THE POOL.

"Stop it, Tommy, no! Don't!" Carol shrieked as the boy brought her into the air, only to lower her back down with a laugh. As her boyfriend laughed, the redheaded girl slapped his chest and shoved him away, "You're such an asshole, Tommy."

Carla gave an eye roll at the couple's behavior. She'd never liked Tommy and Carol that much, and Carol and Tommy never liked her, even when she was with Steve—it's how it had always worked. It was also the reason why this whole night was feeling like a fever dream to the Wheeler girl. She was hanging out at her ex's house with Carol Perkins, Tommy Hagan, Barb Holland and her sister. Something about it felt very weird.

The girl took another sip of her beer—which she hadn't had much of, as she knew she'd regret drinking later—the taste sour against her tongue. Alcohol had never been her forte, but she may as well relax for the night and have a few sips, or cans. She was at a party, and besides, it added to the fever dream feeling.

Rock music blasted throughout the house which definitely bound to get some sort of noise complaint from the neighbors as the teens all sat among each other. Carla was sitting between Barb and Nancy, whom she could tolerate. Barbara was a nice girl—way more in Nance's league—and wasn't meant for parties or popular people. She was only here because Nancy had begged her, and was now somewhat of a babysitter to the Wheeler, though Carla knew how that would end.

Coming out of his house, Steve crosses behind his guests and to his chair next to Nancy, slicing the side of a beer can open with his pocket knife before shut-gunning it for everyone to see, shirt slightly raising.

While Barb gave an unimpressed glance, her friend gave the opposite. Nancy bit her lip, looking at her boyfriend as he sat back down in his pool chair. Then, with a smile, she asked, "Is that supposed to impress me?"

Steve, who'd previously stuck his cigarette back in his mouth, gave a dumbfounded expression. "You're not?"

"Not in the slightest." Carla's voice sounded, the boy turning to look at her instead of his girlfriend as she spoke. "You're gonna need to try a little bit harder than that to impress me, Stevie."

Steve gave a small gesture with his hand, eyes still locked on hers. "Go on and try beating it then. Be my guest."

Carla gave a shrug, "Alright then. Your wish is my command."

The brunette stood up, walking over and snatching a fresh can of beer from Carol's grasp—who let out scoff as she did. She then walked over to Steve, who handed over his pocket knife, watching as she slid the metal into the can, dropping the item onto the floor before shot gunning the liquid.

Steve's eyes were completely stuck on his ex as downed the liquid with ease, looking at her with some kind of awe. No matter how many times he tried to look away, tried to look unimpressed....his eyes were drawn back to her figure.

Carla finished and tossed the can on the ground, the item falling with a small clink. Giving a small bow, she looked over to Steve, who had his mouth slightly ajar, clearly impressed. Noticing this, the Wheeler gave a small smirk and tapped the corner of her mouth, "Looks like you have a little drool right here."

"Shut up." Steve replied, though he wiped the corner of his mouth like he actually believed her words. She gave a small, genuine smile, before sitting back down on her pool chair, alcohol running through her system.

Nancy shook her head at their antics, "You both are so cliche, you realize that?"

"You're a cliche." Steve fires back, lighting his cigarette again as he spoke, "What with your....your grades and your band practice."