013-the new girl

THE POLICE OFFICE SECRETARY HANDED CARLA A BAG OF ICE FOR HER HAND.

"Thanks..." Carla muttered, placing the bag on top of her knuckles, which were starting to bruise.  An identical bruising to what would be on Steve Harrington's cheek within hours from the punch she'd thrown.

Honestly, Carla never envisioned punching anyone, and certainly not a boy who her heart still yearned for. But.....Steve had it coming—someone was bound to punch him for his douche behavior, it was just a matter of who and when.

Nancy, who was standing beside her sister, asked the secretary, "Do you think we'll be out here soon?" 

"You two, yes. Him, no." The woman—or Flo, as she merely introduced herself—stated simply, before adding, "He assaulted a police officer."

Carla's face fell, and Nancy was quick to ask, "Well, how long are you gonna keep him."

Flo sent her a look, "You and your boyfriend have big plans, do you?"

Nancy lightly chuckles before correcting the woman, "He's not my boyfriend."

Nancy let out a chuckle. "He's not my boyfriend."

"I think you better tell him that." Flo says with a knowing glint in her eyes.

"What?" 

"Only love makes you that crazy, sweetheart. And that damn stupid." the secretary states, handing over another cloth full of ice to the Wheeler.

Now, over the course of the trio's friendship, Carla had noticed a small tension between Nancy and Jonathan.  Of course she wouldn't assume anything because, well, her sister was in a relationship but.....she had to admit, there was something between them. Something that could blossom into something bigger if the two let it.

Following her twin back to where Jonathan was sitting—he was still handcuffed, glumly sitting as he waited for his mother to arrive.  Nancy handed him the cloth of ice, "Found some ice."

Jonathan muttered, "Thanks."

The two stared at one another as Nancy held the bag of ice to his face.

The Byers boy then glanced between the Wheelers, "Everything okay?"

Carla pressed the ice further against her knuckles, "Yeah."

"Everything's fine." Nancy nodded.

It's silent again for a few minutes, but it eventually ruined by none other than Joyce Byers.

"Hey. Jonathan?" Carla looks up to see the mother pacing into the station, Hopper trailing behind her.  Noticing the ice in both her son and the Wheeler's hands, she was quick to ask, "Jesus. What—what happened?"

Officer Callahan stepped forward, "Ma'am—"

Jonathan put his head down, "I'm fine."

"Why is he wearing hand cuffs?" the Byers woman questioned, voice high pitched with accusation and confusion.

"Well, your boy assaulted a police officer, that's why." Callahan, the officer who'd been elbowed in the nose, explained, much more calm and matter of fact than Joyce, who was quick to contradict his words.

"Take them off."

"I am afraid I cannot do that—"

"Take them off!"

Before Callahan could speak again, Hopper interjected firmly, "You heard her. Take 'em off."

Officer Powell, the other officer at the scene, looked at his boss. "Chief, I get everyone's emotional here, but there's something you need to see."