008-death effects everyone

CARLA WHEELER HOPPED OUT OF THE POLICE CHIEFS CAR.

Her feet hit her driveway with a small thump and the girl leaned back into the vehicle to grab her schoolbag. From the drivers seat, Hopper sent her a small look, "Stay safe."

"Always will, Chief." Carla Wheeler began walking backwards towards her front door, eyes still set on the Chevy Blazer, "Thanks for the ride, again."

"Anytime, kid." the older man huffed before rolling his window up, sending a final glance—as if he was making sure she was going to go inside the Wheeler home. After finding Will's body in the Quarry, he suddenly had a new layer of precaution. Something in him that told him he needed to keep a better eye on the town, on the kids. Even a kid like Carla Wheeler, who knew how to take care of herself.

Carla watched the cop car disappear, before finally turning around and heading back into her home.

But, she barely made it to her front door before it hit her.

Will was dead.

The Wheeler's lip trembled at the thought—at the reality. Will Byers, a boy whom she'd known since he was a little kid was dead and gone. She'd get no more of his exotic drawings, no more hugs or smiles. No more, Hey, Carla's or D&D rants.....

It was suddenly too much to handle.

She'd almost stayed at the Byers' house because of the noise. With the police sirens and lights, the chatter of officers and the sound of tears and denial filling up her mind, it left no room for Carla to think about Will. But....Jonathan had insisted she left before disappearing into his room and the least she could do was listen.

They needed to grieve and, well, so did she. These feelings couldn't be bottled up as she usually tended to do with feelings.

After hearing the terrible news, the Byers' and well as Carla had been led back to the home for further questioning and explanation. Joyce had denied that her son was dead, claiming she'd spoken to him less than thirty minutes ago and Jonathan had listened to Hopper's words with a guilt-ridden expression until he was free to go to his room—more than likely to break down.

Carla too had listened to Hopper's words but instead of waiting to break down, she'd allowed herself to do so right then and there. Tears had rolled down her cheeks silently, as if Will was her son, her brother—which in reality, was what she really saw him as.

The news had spread rather quickly for it being found out tonight. Hell, every newspaper in town probably on top of the story, adding details that were never confirmed, twisting Will's death into a suicide or something worse.

It had taken a toll on everyone too. It had been a while since anyone died mysteriously in Hawkins, Indiana, let alone went missing. Hopper now looked towards the Byers' with a guilt-ridden expression—maybe he hadn't done enough. Maybe if he'd just looked more into the case, Will could have been found—Joyce was in complete denial and Jonathan was broken. And Carla? Well, the Wheeler girl wasn't exactly sure what she was.

She believed Will was indeed dead—they'd found a body, after all. It would be absolutely cruel to fake something like that—but....something just didn't feel right about this. It felt like something more sinister was behind the boy's supposed 'drowning'.

But, it was true. Will Byers was dead and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Opening her front door, Carla slowly stepped into her home. She could hear the news—of course broadcaster's had already made it to the Quarry, and were interviewing the chief—on Will's death, and turned to see both of her parents situation in front of the television. Karen had tear filled eyes, Ted solemnly holding her hand.