CHAPTER 16 : Hard Work Makes A Life

Start from the beginning

I hear the man shift on his feet to stand fully his hand taking his full beard and rubbing his jaw in a thinking like manner.

my eyes now fixate on his face taking in his softer gaze he places a small pat on my shoulder.

as he recoils his hand he gives me a knowing  nod and makes his way back over to his office " still not going to pay you for those 3 minutes" he tells me firmly his usual stern face returning.

I nod slowly to show I understand and turn back to the mountain of dishes a small smile on my face.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

4 HOURS LATER 

I vigorously scrub at a stubborn coffee stain that covers the table of a patron that left after a long coffee and work session.

" blondie come to my office" instructs Grayham from the serving hatch not waiting around to see if I follow.

I slap the wet cloth over my shoulder and mindlessly glide through the kitchen towards the office.

 I linger outside the glass door not ready to face whatever Grayham wanted me for.

I tap on the door gently and enter taking in the small office.

 the office space feels cramped and cluttered, with wooden walls that have seen better days,  once warm and inviting, have lost their luster, their once-polished finish now faded and marred by scratches and dents.

The room is dimly lit, with a single window covered by heavy, dusty curtains that filter in only a weak, muted light, further emphasizing the atmosphere of neglect.

Clutter seems to have taken over every available surface.

Stacks of papers and files teeter precariously on an old, battered bookshelf that's sagging under the weight of its contents. Piles of unopened mail, including overdue bills, are stuck haphazardly on a bulletin board, their edges curling with time. 

Some notices have fallen to the floor, where they lay forgotten.

The centerpiece of the room is a worn-out desk, its surface marred with coffee stains and ink blots. The desk chair, though once comfortable, now creaks with every movement. 

The computer on the desk is outdated, with a dusty keyboard and a flickering monitor that struggles to display a clear image. Its slow processing speed is a reflection of the room's neglected state.

The office feels like a place that has been abandoned to its own devices for far too long. 

The air is heavy with the scent of dust and old paper, and the sense of disarray is palpable. It's a space that hints at past productivity but has since succumbed to neglect, with the clutter and overdue bills serving as a constant reminder of unfinished business and a need for renewal.

"you wanted to see me " I cautiously ask Grayham entering the room fully.

Grayham holds yet another bill addressed for the restaurant in his left hand his right hand pinching the bridge of his nose his glasses balancing precariously on his fingers  his eyes squeezed shut.

"yes yes shut the door" Grayham opens his eyes and waves at me with one hand to shut the door as he dumps the letter on his desk.

his eyes scan over the letter then draw to me lazily.

He reaches out and takes a small white envelope from a small pile beside his computer and offers it in my direction.

"your pay for the week minus todays late  fees and other fees as such" he causally tells me throwing the envelope at me.

I don't wait to be excused and open the envelope taking in each dollar and counting mentally.

" I'm missing $10 " I question cautiously.

"for todays late fee and that smashed plate the other day I already told you I made deductions if you don't like it leave" he informs me with an annoyed sigh as he shakes his head.

"no no i understand ..... thank you" i quickly cover over my question trying to stop any type of escalation happening.

" good.... now get out your shifts done for the day" he tells me gruffly as he stands from his chair and moves to stand if front of me  guiding me to the door.

I quickly step out the door frame to narrowly miss the slamming door behind me.

I roll my eyes and remove my mucky apron throwing it with the other aprons waiting for a wash.

"bye " I call out to no one in particular as I pick up my bag from its corner and exit the restaurant into the cool night air of Gotham.

I fumble about with the bag balancing my envelope of money in one hand as  I unzip my bag with the other.

" $30 for the week" I sigh in defeat knowing my hard work resulted in nothing.

I shove the envelope in my bag  and notice the hospital letter peeking out behind my books.

I take it out and place my bag on my back placing the letter in my mouth to momentarily unlock my bike.

I stroll out the alleyway my bike  handle bars gripped in one hand the letter in the other as I flip it over and scan it the flip it back again.

my attention taken by the letter in my hand I mindlessly walk the ever so familiar street not picking up on the unwanted attention I have attracted.

"HEY NICE BIKE" comes a obnoxious shout from behind me.

AUTHORS NOTE 

HI peeps been a while.

hope you enjoyed this chapter.

 I hope the time skip is obvious this has been done just to speed the book along in the direction it needs to be in.

anywayyy thank you for reading byeee

:)