Chapter 7 - Rosegold

ORIANA

I would have given anything to wake in the dungeons

Being trapped beneath the earth with Sebastian was one of my fondest memories, a bright spot amidst the bleak greys of my days, overcast by poisoned tonics and the long, eerie shadows cast by ashwood gates. Now I was wrapped in warm furs and silky throws, but I longed for the achingly cold stone and oppressive quiet of the underground. I desperately wanted to reassure myself that everything that happened between us was real; that it wasn't just a cruel, elaborate dream, like the ones that haunted me in my youth, where I'd live a full life only to open my eyes and quietly weep as the weight of my solitude settled in.

Refusing to open my eyes and accept reality without Sebastian, I brought my hand up to my lips, holding myself in the memory of our first kiss. Reliving every frustratingly glorious second of it. I wished furiously — perhaps foolishly — that our mate bond needn't be suppressed, so that I could reach out with my mind and find his. Just to hear his voice. To make sure he was okay.

Guilt flooded through me. There was no need for fantasy; Sebastian was alive and real and for some insane reason he reciprocated all of my feelings. But that didn't matter, either, because he was locked in a dungeon and he needed my help.

My eyes flew open. I clutched my head as I swung up too fast, riding the wave of dizziness with years of practice, placing my weight slightly ahead of where I thought it ought to go. A silk blanket slid from my body, pooling around my ankles, and I paused to regain my bearings.

I hadn't imagined the battle with the Kirin. While my body was healed, my travel clothes were plastered with death and destruction (it was nice to know the wyverns had respected my privacy while I was unconscious). Gore, long gone bad, made even my weak nose wrinkle.

Another pang of guilt assaulted me as I searched the room for a basin or a bath — did I even have time to wash? Sparkling veins of ochre ran through the walls, complimenting the thick, woven rug underfoot. Gretchen would have liked the tapestry, I thought, heading over to what looked like an effigy to Rya's Messenger, a phoenix rumoured to live deep within the Thornwood. A topaz bird sat atop a rock pillar in front of the artwork, surrounded by more of those stumpy, sweet-smelling candles and a curious collection of coloured stones. They were translucent and warmly coloured, like solidified drops of tea.

Maybe it was the oppressive quiet. Maybe it was my desperation and guilt. I felt the urge to kneel before the pedestal, so I did, I clasping my hands and closing my eyes, resting my forehead against the cool stone.

Please make sure my friends are okay, I prayed, though I wasn't sure to who. All three of the Goddesses had proven fickle and cruel, not to mention all too eager to sacrifice me and my friends to get one up on each other. Especially Gretchen. I know we didn't always get along, but she has a noble heart. She only wanted to protect life on this star.