Ringing The Bells

Start from the beginning

Kai nods, in a rather tired manner.

"I'm seeing her today, have I not told you..?" he answers whilst picking on his food. "Sorry, I thought I did." he buries himself in the plate once again.

"it's fine." Taehyun reassure, although looking a bit surprise to hear the news. wondering what made Kai suddenly support the idea. "I'm glad, she can really help." Taehyun eyes Kai's full plate. "I trust her. she will know what to do with the information."

Kai nods again, humming quietly, seemingly not in the mood to talk. so Taehyun lets him be, and they spend the rest of the morning in silence up until Taehyun needs to leave.

"meet up at Hyung's bar tonight?" he confirms their plans before stepping out of the door and to the cab spiraling into yet another busy day of work.

Kai fetches Taehyun's scarf from their bedroom, letting out a vague "yes" before returning with the item and circling it around Taehyun's neck.

"good luck, Big Shot." he manages sending off the elder properly, with a kiss on his lipa and a half smile.

"You too." Taehyun replies, leaving with conflicted feelings. he tries telling himself that Kai is strong enough to handle his own, or at least confide in Taehyun when he is unwell or in need of help. but he knows strangely enough, despite their multiple striking differences, he and Kai are similar when it comes to working themselves as long as they can operate and not a minute earlier.

"2 more days.." Taehyun reminds himself, mumbling under his breath while going down the elevator. "just 2 more days."

the door closes behind him, and he grips his suitcase. making the way past the lobby to catch the cab Kai called for him so he wouldn't have to go to work on foot or in public transportation in light of the earlier events of the week.

it's safer, Kai persuaded. normally, he would take Taehyun their himself if he didn't need to be in the court house for his meeting with Miss. Rue in an hour. 

hoping that Taehyun and his team progress moves forward, there aren't many more meetings ahead. and Kai is savoring each and every one of them thirsty for some details, Taehyun returns home each day retelling the new information they have found. 

after 10 minutes or so, he gets up from the island chair, his hands leaving his tangled hair after carding in a few times. sighing, Kai goes to grab Yeonjun's bike keys.

with them in one hand, and a jacket in the other. he ignores the slight pain in his body, the heaviness, the urge to fall on the couch and sleep for the entire day.

there's too much to do. the trial hasn't started, who does it already feel like they're losing?

..................

*knock knock*

the green doors or the court meeting room stay closed for another minute or two, and before Kai has the thought of knocking again, he hears a click.

 a well and business dressed lady emerges from the other side of the door, peeking into the waiting lobby. she looks him up and down, judgment in her eyes who seem stretched up by her tight ponytail.

"Huening-Shii?"

he nods. and she purses her lips, moving her body from the frame to make room for him to enter.

"you can come in."

"thank you." he bows to greet, and goes through the door and into a not too large room occupied by only a circular table, a big screen and a few chairs. it's painted in green and gray, quite dull-like, but nothing to expect from a building such as a courthouse.