Nap Of A Star

"R-right.... nice to meet you"

well, I'm screwed

you can always count on Kai to make a terrible first impression. that, among all other talents he has, was definitely the thing he was best at.

is he surprised? not at all, he is not.

part of his charm you can say, is make people like him right after they think the worst of him. after all, being likable on the very first meeting is too easy. Doing the opposite? Well, that's where his real talent shines.

what can he do other than make the best out of every situation? after all. all bitter things can turn sweet.

"let me start over." he results to reaching for a handshake. "I'm Huening Kai. it's a pleasure to meet you."

his healthy hand hangs in the air, waiting to be acknowledged by the couple in front of him. but the two stare at him, eyeing his whole presence from top to bottom. he smiles, shaking his hand in return to their judgmental looks.

Kai look down, retrieving his rejected hand.

"I was told this is how you greet people in the business world." he laughs. putting both hands behind his back for a more formal approach. "guess I've been lied to."

"who is this, Son? why does he think he can barge into your room like that?" the lady asks, not bothering to look at Kai any longer or address his introduction.

"excuse me." she speaks in a high pitched voice, her tone similar to how you would talk to a child or someone who you would call ignorant.

"you know it's rude to invade people's privacy like so. ah, seriously.." she rolls her eyes and look at her husband who's having pretty much the same if not a more aggressive reaction to Kai.

"do they not teach basic manners in whatever institute you went to?"

"mom..." Taehyun hisses. "stop, please."

"I'm just saying!" she gets defensive. "even if he's part of the staff, that does not mean obligatory knocking is out of order."

Kai nods. smacking his lips softly.

"You're right Ma'am I was too unthoughtful."

"Kai you don't have to-"

Kai shakes his head, smiling kindly.

"No, your mom is right. I should've knocked first. however I'm not part of the staff.." he looks at Taehyun for confirmation. making sure that this is what they both want.

Taehyun bites his lips, swallowing dryly. he looks at his dad, that is seconds from kicking Kai out of the room. he can almost see the vein in his father forehead popping. knowing that his dad despise more than anything, social workers. and by default, both his parents assume Kai was either a student who came into the wrong room, or a volunteer with a bad attitude.

"yet.. I'm not part of the staff, yet." Kai uses his quick wit and bluffs. "I'm here for a training program."

he mistakes Taehyun's long silence as to say he is not ready to tell people about them. so be it, if Taehyun's not ready, that's fine. but he perhaps should've told him that before they spent the night together.

"I'll go now. thank you for your time." Kai says, bowing respectfully before leaving the room.

he breaths deep once he's out of their, walking across the empty, overwhelming white hall. his smile drops almost immediately, his face now blank and dim.

not a lot of people see this version of him. and he's not planning on showing it either. it's something that he saves to himself, while he's truly alone and can finally drop the act.