Ringing The Bells

Start from the beginning

"should.. should we close the bar?" he asks warily. 

Beomgyu's eyes shoot up in surprise, mouth pressed in a line. 

"huh?"

"not for good!" Yeonjun tries rephrasing himself. mostly to let Beomgyu know he still has a standing job. 

the younger's tense features relax again.

"just, until the trial's over, you know?" Yeonjun shrugged. "what good will it do to keep the place open? we're practically asking for trouble.." 

it doesn't take a genius to see Yeonjun has a point. but Beomgyu's upset either way.

"what happens when they walk in here while it's open, bar fights are already common, I don't need more broken glasses."

"am I suppose to start crapping money out of my crack then?" Beomgyu hisses. "and you, Hyung? do you have the luxury of closing for 2 days?"

Yeonjun sighs.

"I'm not saying I want to close the bar, but it's not like we're bringing in money lately." he closes his eyes, a small fog of despair coursing through his head. "it's the windows, and the table i had to throw out and replace with another one because of the bricks. now this, I'm just.... tired."

Beomgyu furrows his eyebrows together, looking at the ground as if it can offer them a solution. 

"just for 2 days then?" he asks  after a few seconds when he tackles nothing. raising a questioning eyebrow at Yeonjun. 

"2 days-." the elder promises. 

"-just until everything calms down."

....................

"good morning." Taehyun greets Kai in the master bathroom. 

Kai nods in response. picking his toothbrush out of the stand and continuing to mindlessly go through his routine.

"I'm okay, Big Shot.. no need to stare and worry." Kai says after spitting the rest of the toothpaste and water mixture in his mouth. he straightens up from over the sink to see Taehyun clearing his throat awkwardly, tearing his wary eyes off Kai's bruises.

it's not the only thing worrying him, no.. 

there's the growing eyebags under Kai's pretty shiny eyes, soon, they will lose their brightness too. Taehyun knows it, he's seen it in himself, the eagerness, the workload would crash anyone. Kai is no exception to overexerting.

the growing tension, anxiety through the roof. in 2 days, they will find out whether their hard work has paid off. or whether...

Taehyun shakes the thought away, not wanting to think of the other possibility. 

he knows Kai's thinking about it though..

staring blank at the celling above their bed not able to sleep a wink. Kai's not talking about it, but Taehyun noticed the fact that he hasn't been sleeping well in days. and it's not hard to guess the reason.

"-Shot, hey, Big Shot... Taehyun?" 

"hmm?" Taehyun looks around for Kai that suddenly disappeared and popped behind him. he flinches.

"do you want eggs with your breakfast?" Kai asks for the third time.

"....oh, sure."

.................

"-2 meetings, one in an hour, one at noon. one with a witness and one with the team" Taehyun recites his schedule for the day. "have you thought about what Miss. Rue offered?"