𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟑

Start from the beginning

Before leaving the room, I look back at Elena. Her expression looks sad, like she's disappointed about how things played out, but I can tell she understands why I need my own space. She gives me a slight nod, and I take that as my cue to leave.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

It's been seven hours since Marco arrived—each one of them feels like hell. With his new status as the king of Italy, he's only gotten more entitled. He has no respect for anyone and no lack of boundaries, judging by the number of unfortunate women he's already tried to get in bed with.

As of right now, I'm being forced to escort him to a gala hosted by Pierre L'Avoir to welcome Italy's new king and queen to France.

It's strange that I have to refer to Marco as a king now. He doesn't act the part of a true king at all. More like a self-absorbed tyrant. With Elena, it's different. I feel comfortable calling her a queen because I always knew she was fit to be one someday. I just wish she had the full power she deserved.

Not even a second has passed since we've entered the room, and Marco immediately attracts the attention of the press. Between his flashy suits and pristine reputation, the public adores him. It's a shame they don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Elena, on the other hand, tries to sneak off without anyone seeing. Her beauty isn't to go unnoticed, though. Paparazzi surround her, so I step in to block them all off. "This is a private event; no pictures will be taken at this time," I inform them.

I gesture to the hotel's security team positioned at the corner of the room, and they quickly take over the scene. All press figures are forced to leave, and there's finally a sense of peace among the crowd. The guards take this as their cue to leave the room.

"Good evening, everyone," Pierre calls out, holding a wine glass between his thumb and his middle finger. "I'm so glad you all could make it. Please welcome our special guests all the way from Italy—King Marco and Queen Elena."

Everyone in the room rises to their feet in applause. With a subtle smile and slight inclination of her head, Elena gives a small curtsy, while Marco gives a more over-the-top half-bow. The moment of civility is broken, however, when Marco reaches for Elena's hand, gripping it tightly and pulling her next to him.

I hate the way he touches her so casually, treating her like she's his possession. She doesn't belong to him. She's mine, and I'll be damned if anybody tries to take her from me.

Quickly, I move to stand in between them. "Some ladies on the other side look very excited to get to meet you, Your Majesty. Maybe you should go talk to them before you end up causing me to make a scene," I whisper lowly in Marco's ear, almost issuing a threat.

His eyes flare with disdain, but he immediately suppresses his emotions and lets out a scoff of laughter. "Jealous, hm?" he taunts. "Don't worry, she's all yours. For now." He shoots Elena a pointed look before walking away to talk to some of the young women who had been admiring him for the last few minutes.

Idiot.

Swallowing my resentment for the time being, I turn my attention back to Elena. The look of relief on her face only adds fuel to the fire burning inside me. She doesn't deserve to be treated like that. No one does.

I'm about to ask her if she's alright when someone else decides to speak up, interrupting me before I can even get the words out of my mouth. "Your Majesty!" a bubbly voice exclaims.