𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏

The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning after getting ready is go to the kitchen to drink coffee before the servants come in

The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning after getting ready is go to the kitchen to drink coffee before the servants come in. Coffee helps me stay awake, and I need it after only getting an hour of sleep.

I haven't gotten past four hours of sleep for almost half of my life. Over time, I've learned to deal with it, but there are times when I grow increasingly tired. Especially today.

September 5th.

My birthday.

After drinking a cup of coffee, I quickly make my way to the princess's room to guard her door. I don't technically have to start my shift this early in the morning, but I don't want anything to happen to her. There are too many people in the palace who cannot be trusted.

The hallways are quiet for at least half an hour before they suddenly start bustling with activity. Servants, who have finally woken up, are wandering through the hallways to do their jobs. Footsteps echo through the empty corridors, and the sound of metal objects being hauled takes over.

Elena's personal handmaid weaves her way through a crowd of workers, rushing with a huge bag in her arms. She gives me a small wave, as she usually does in the morning, before going inside the room.

As the day progresses, the activity in the palace continues to grow. The sounds of footsteps and conversations fill the halls, and servants scurry about everywhere, carrying various objects.

Despite the chaos, I remain stationed outside the princess's room, carefully monitoring the hallway. This is my job, and I take it seriously—for the most part.

After hours of waiting, the door handle finally twists open, and the princess steps out. She is a truly striking figure, with her lush, honey-brown hair cascading down her back in loose curls. Her dress is simple yet elegant, cut close to her figure, and finished with a delicate lace trim around the neckline.

I'm mad at her, but no amount of anger will ever overpower how irresistible she is to me. She's perfection—like a painting I could stare at for hours and never get enough of. I can't help but admire her silently.

"Good morning, Princess," I say after taking my time to cherish every part of her, trying to keep my tone as nonchalant as possible.

Her chest heaves up slowly, taking a quiet, deep breath to let her emotions simmer down. "Happy birthday," she responds, her teeth sinking into her lower lip.

Stiffening, I register her words slowly. I never told her when my birthday was, nor do I need the reminder. "How did you know it was my birthday?"

The princess's eyebrows lift as if she were expecting me to say something completely different, and she tilts her head to the side. "I do my research," she answers, her signature sly tone creeping back into her voice.

At first, I thought her words were some sort of joke, but when I met her eyes, I could tell she meant it. For some reason, I feel oddly touched by her response, and when she steps closer to me, I'm unable to stop myself from reaching for her hand.