𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

It's been five days since that Midnight Masquerade Ball fiasco, and Alex is on another break

It's been five days since that Midnight Masquerade Ball fiasco, and Alex is on another break. It's strange because for the three months he's been my bodyguard, he's almost never left my side.

I can't help but wonder what's up with my parents giving him all these breaks suddenly. I do have my suspicions that Marco is behind it, though.

To pass the time and cure my boredom, I paint in my private art studio. It's a large, well-lit room with high ceilings and large windows that allow natural light to flood in.

The studio is filled with various art supplies and contains several pieces of art that I've already completed, proudly displayed on the walls. In the center of the room stands a large, wooden easel that I use to work on my current painting.

I wasn't lying when I told Marco's parents I was interested in painting. It's therapeutic for me in a way. It's like I can just pour all of my feelings out on my canvas. It's better this way since no one wants to listen to me.

I'm almost done with the details of the butterfly I'm painting when the huge double doors behind me burst open. The sudden movement makes my hand shake and causes me to accidentally splatter blue paint all over the canvas.

Nothing that I can't fix later.

Turning around, I see Prince Marco looking around. My mood is immediately ruined. "What the hell are you doing here?" I grumble.

Marco smiles smugly. "I felt the need to check in on my future wife." He pauses for a moment, examining the picture next to me. "You're painting? How adorable."

Adorable. The way he said it so condescendingly only fueled my anger even more. I glowered at him, my fists clenching at my sides. "Get out. Now."

"I see you're still bitter about our engagement. But think of it this way: when we do get married, we'll be the talk of the century. Imagine all the balls we'll be attending together: my arm around your waist, your head on my shoulder, and your lips on mine..." he trails off, grinning.

I gag. I've never met someone so delusional and entitled. His parents did a horrible job raising him, although I see why he turned out the way he is. King Felipe and Queen Letzia are swines. Maybe if he had parents who taught him manners, he wouldn't act like this.

"That will never happen," I snap, "so don't waste your time." That's all I need to say to him. He only wants a reaction out of me, and I'm not going to give him what he wants. Not this time.

I'm an adult now.

Instead, I just turn around and fix my painting while avoiding his presence. I can hear his footsteps inching closer to me, but I still pretend like he's not even in the room. Even when he stands right next to me.

He leans on the easel, bringing his face right beside mine with a smirk. "Elena," his voice is low and intimate, "are you trying to ignore me?"

Obviously, dipshit.