Chapter IV: The Debutante

As the anticipated day arrives, the manor buzzes with an unprecedented flurry of activity. My room is a hive of bustling maids, each diligently working to transform me into a vision of elegance for the impending event.

The dress, once a mere fabric draped over my form during fittings, now envelops me in a breathtaking cascade of silk and lace, its beauty enhanced by the skillful hands of the designer. Yet, despite its newfound splendor, the corset cinched tightly around my waist serves as a constant reminder of the sacrifices required for beauty. Each breath is a struggle, the constriction leaving me gasping for air as I long for the freedom it denies me.

My hair, cascading down my back in a luxurious wave, extends far beyond what I would consider practical. Yet, as the maids unfurl its length and adorn it with a simple flower tiara, I can't help but marvel at its majestic beauty. The delicate red roses, crafted from glistening rubies, lend an ethereal quality to my appearance, transforming me into something akin to a fairy tale princess.

"You look like a fairy, my Lady!" Noelle's exclamation breaks through my reverie, drawing a bright smile to my lips. In that moment, I can't help but agree with her assessment. Serena's beauty, with its otherworldly allure, is truly unparalleled. It's no wonder that men were easily enchanted by her in my book.

"Let's go, my Lady. They are waiting for you," Noelle's gentle voice breaks through the flurry of activity, urging me towards the entrance of the manor. As we step outside, my eyes are met with the sight of two imposing black carriages, their polished exteriors gleaming in the moonlight. Even the coachmen, resplendent in their uniforms, exude an air of dignified elegance.

We pause at the entrance, a silent acknowledgment of the centuries-old custom dictating that the head of the house must be the first to enter the carriages and depart. As I wait, the weight of expectation settles upon my shoulders, the anticipation of the evening's events mingling with a sense of trepidation.

As the Duchess gracefully descended the grand staircase of the manor, her beauty captivated all who beheld her. With hair as dark as ebony and eyes as blue as the clearest sky, she exuded an aura of regal elegance that left no doubt as to why my father, the Duke, had been drawn to her.

As she passed by me, a shiver ran down my spine at the intensity of her gaze. For a moment, time seemed to stand still as she paused, her words delivered with a chilling undercurrent of warning.

"Do not dare to humiliate my family," she whispered, her voice barely audible above the rustle of fabric and the clip-clop of hooves as she disappeared into the waiting carriage. With her departure, the weight of her words lingered in the air, casting a shadow over the festivities that lay ahead.

As Emyr swiftly ascended into the second carriage, his demeanor unreadable, I couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment at the lack of acknowledgment. It was a harsh reminder of the precarious position I occupied within the household, a mere afterthought in the eyes of my stepmother.

Thankfully, Caspian's warm hand enveloped mine, offering a small but reassuring gesture of solidarity as we stepped into the carriage that Emyr had chosen. With his presence beside me, the apprehension that had gnawed at my stomach began to dissipate, replaced by a sense of camaraderie that eased the tension of the moment.

As the carriage lurched forward, the unfamiliar sensation of movement stirred a wave of discomfort within me. Memories of past struggles with motion sickness flooded my mind, threatening to overwhelm me with nausea and dizziness. Yet, with Caspian's hand firmly clasped in mine, I found the courage to endure, determined to face this new challenge head-on.

"Are you nervous, Sister?" Caspian's gentle voice broke through the uneasy silence, his concern evident in the way he squeezed my hand. Unable to form words as nausea threatened to overwhelm me, I offered him a reassuring smile in response. The last thing I wanted was to ruin my dress-or worse, my brother's-by succumbing to sickness in this exquisite carriage.