no

part three
                             ~

As the weekend passed, and the week began to start, I had only one word on my mind.

Proof.

It was mandatory that I found some.

I needed John to go down for what he'd done to Este.

I watched Folklore Cottage for days, but unlike me, John was acting frightfully normal.

In the mornings alongside Cordelia, John sometimes went out, but not for a long.

When it was midday they ate lunch at the dinner table and then seemed to disappear into the garden.

Most nights they would watch television in the living room, but sometimes they would dress up and go out.

It was like nothing had happened.

Like Este suddenly didn't exist.

Sometimes I doubted myself in whether she had actually existed or not, but everytime I turned the news on or read the paper she was everywhere.

To John and Cordelia she must have been like a bad smell that wouldn't go away.

To me she was everything, I wanted her to stay.

But I knew she wouldn't, she was gone for good.

But no matter how many hours I watched John and how many hours I searched the outskirts of Folklore Cottage, I couldn't find any proof.

I'd thought about trying to search the house but it would be impossible. John never went out for long and besides the police had already looked everywhere.

John had probably gotten ridden of every piece of evidence.

I would never be able to find proof.

On Wednesday, after I'd spent the day watching the cottage and adding things to my murder board, I sat down in my living room to read.

This was the first time I'd done something for me since Este's disappearance.

It was like my life was slipping away and it was now only involved around Este and John.

I turned the page of my book and began to read, inhaling the smell of it's pages.

I'd always enjoyed the smell of books.

I was beginning to get into my book when the faint sound of meowing startled me. I looked up from my book to see Meredith sat on my window ledge.

She must've gotten in through the open window.

"Oh hello there, what are you doing here?" I said in a baby voice.

I loved cats, though I didn't own any.

Meredith made her way over to me as I held my hand out.

She jumped onto my lap and curled up on it.

I noticed that her fur was wet and cold, like she hadn't been inside for a while.

And for some reason she looked off, as though she was traumatised.

She must be missing Este.

I stroked her fur and she continued to purr.

I tutted "Did John and his wicked witch kick you out?" I talked to her, still in baby voice.

It was definitely possible Meredith had been kicked out. Meredith was Este's cat, not John's and he hadn't really been fond of her anyway.

I bet Cordelia loathed cats, and John had kicked Meredith out because whatever Cordelia says goes.