(36) future? - marcus rashford

Start from the beginning

It was scribbled along on balloons, on cards, on home-made posters and brought tears to your eyes. You could feel the love radiating in the room and the tired but happy smiles from his brother and his wife was proof of that.

"Congratulations!" You exclaimed, hugging his brother tightly, swinging from side to side. "I bet you must be the happiest man on earth."

"Yeah, I don't know if you would believe me but I spent the whole time crying." He said, a small smile on his face as he looked toward the plastic bassinet.

"I can imagine so. It must be an exciting time for the two of you."

There was an exchange of pleasantries before you swapped places with Marcus — he was now with his brother and stood next to the bed, was you.

"How are you feeling, Jess?"

She briefly closed her eyes but the smile remained on her lips. "Tired. Tired. And tired. My water broke, right, but he was a stubborn one. He didn't want to come out despite all that we were advised to do."

"Sounds like a member of the Rashford family." It was your comment that sent the two of you into a fit of giggles, leaning into each other.

"You've got that right." She added on. "But seriously, after he came, I couldn't stop smiling. I was in a shitload of pain but the smile never left my face because I had finally met him. My baby boy."

"Speaking of him..." Trailing off, you moved closer to the bassinet and saw the cutest baby in the entire world sleeping in a curled up position. His hands on either side of him, covered in soft cotton mittens, and a pout on his lips.

"So cute—" Marcus whispered behind you, a hand on your shoulder and his face peeping out at the infant. The corners of his mouth lifted as he stared at his nephew, the newest addition to the Rashford family.

"Isn't he?"

A few moments passed before the baby began to stir. There were a few noises that escaped his mouth, nothing too serious, before he fluttered his lids and opened them.

"Marcus, did you see that? That was the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life."

"What about me?" Marcus asked jokingly. His hand no longer on your shoulder but cupping your waist, a steady hand.

"You're a grown man. Which means you're no longer cute but handsome."

Marcus was about to retaliate when the baby let out louder noises, not necessarily cries, but it was something. His arms and legs were wiggling around in the temporary plastic home as the blanket started falling off. As you were about to set it back, Jess spoke:

"Would you like to hold him?"

Both of your heads snapped up in surprise, wide eyes and slacked jaws. "Are— are you sure?"

Jess just smiled and nodded her head. "He's your family too." She said and it warmed your heart. To feel so included and appreciated in the family.

"Thank you."

Marcus decided that he wasn't ready for that responsibility yet so he asked you if you couldn't hold the baby and he'll join you on the sofa. It didn't take long before his brother took the baby out of the cot and walked over to you, handing him over. Making sure the baby's neck was secure in the crook of your elbow, you carefully held the baby with a supporting arm on his bottom and splayed your hand along his back.

"Y/N and Marcus, meet your nephew, Benjamin Marcus Rashford."

"Oh, you named him after me?" Marcus asked in disbelief. All his brother could do was smile at Marcus, an all-too knowing smile.

"How could I not when you're his god-father as well?"

Marcus sat with his mouth open in shock before bursting with joy, as he shook his brother's hand and brought him in for a hug. "Thank you."

"Oh, Y/N..." Jess called and you looked up, taking your eyes off of Ben for the first time. "...we were wondering if you would accept being his god-mother."

"Huh?" Was the only response you could muster up. "You want me to be his god-mother?" Also, you asked in disbelief, staring between the new parents and the bundle in your arms.

"If you want to be. It's just that you and Marcus are such a lovely couple that in case of an accident and we don't make it, we strongly agreed that Ben be raised in your home."

Speechless. That's what you were. As you locked eyes with Marcus and saw the softest smile on his face, a tear rolled down your cheek. He lifted his hand and wiped it with the pad of his thumb, nodding his head.

"We accept. We humbly accept the new positions, yeah?"

Nodding your head, you could only agree. "A million times yes, Jess. Thank you for thinking of us in this way."

As if Benjamin could sense the conversation, he glanced between you and Marcus, gave the absolute tiniest of nods and fluttered his eyes closed.

Back to dreamland he went.