(23) surprise! - andy robertson

"Congratulations, Y/N!"

The room erupted into cheers as you walked through the doors, Andrew's outrageous laughter loud enough to trump the noise. He loosened his hands from yours to clap them together, moving aside so you could have your moment.

"Andrew?" You whispered through your smile, desperately looking at your boyfriend to not leave you alone.

It was a surprise party; well, more like, a surprise baby shower. Andrew had told you that he wanted to take you out - on a date - before the little bundle of joy arrived. Being first time parents, you realised that you were gonna have to put this on hold for a while, as you navigate life with an addition to the Robertson family. Quite excited for the day, you didn't heed the signs of Andrew's party planning: the secrecy, the "dress-up" for a simple lunch, the different location than your usual luncheon spots.

"Andrew?" You begged as you walked over to your boyfriend, grabbing his hand as his friends and teammates started coming closer.

Despite the shock in the moment, you were really happy to be here, for this party planned and for it to be for you. The confident smile on your boyfriend's face made you wonder if he could read your mind, knowing how grateful you were.

"Y/N!" You heard Trent shout as he jogged closer. Turning around to greet him, he pulled you into a hug, "Did you like the surprise? We spent months on it."

"Months?" You gasped, looking at Andrew but he waved his hand. "He's lying, it was only two."

"Trent..." You scolded, his cheeky laughter filling the air. But, it soon settled down as he looked down to your protruding bump.

"Wow, you're so big." He mumbled, not realising his words could not be very well-taken, he corrected them. "I mean, for Robertson's child, you're carrying pretty big. I thought we're having a wee lil Scotsman."

You laughed at his words as Andrew walked over to come to his defence, "But you know what..." Yeah, he had nothing to say. It caused the little circle that gathered to burst out laughing, making your boyfriend pout.

Virgil and his wife was next to give their personal congratulations.

"Another Scotsman added to the Liverpool academy, hey." Virgil cackled as he rubbed Andrew's head, the latter slapping his partner-on-the-field's hand away.

The banter continued when Rike pulled you into a softer hug, "How's life at home? I know all that aches and pains is kicking in now right?"

You blew out a breath of air, "It's terrible, really, first it's the back then the ankles - my bladder has become uncontrollable - and I'm sleep-deprived."

Rike looked at you with sympathy, a hand on your arm in support. "But I have the perfect support at home..." You looks at Robertson, who's now with his teammates, "...he doesn't even hesitate, he just does it. Sometimes, I'll see how far he'll be willing to go and he's always just bang bang bang bang."

"It's the least they could do, am I right?" Rike commented, mischief in her voice as she greeted you again.

"Damn right."

Then it was the Henderson's; they were just the sweetest and kindest bunch. Rebecca had given you tons of hacks to the littlest things - sometimes not even realising how important it could be - and Jordan with his mini-speech to Andrew.

"You are a family man now, yeah? Y/N and our little Scotsman is gonna need all the help they can get and you better be prepared to be there, always, for them."

Andrew looked so awkward and helpless standing there, looking like a boy getting scolded by his father, and begged with his eyes for you to come save him. Shrugging your shoulders, you first greeted the rest of teammates and their significant others, before, deciding he had enough torture and went to save him.

"I'll remember that." He whispered in your ear, thanking Jordan for his speech out loud.

"I hope you do, Andrew." Smiling, and walking to the next group of guests - your families.

*******

It was present time; there were a lot of neutral coloured pieces of clothing as you and Andrew wanted to keep the gender a surprise. There was, probably, an unlimited number of diapers, bottles, bibs and he just packed it all together - ready to take home.

Unfortunately, Jurgen couldn't make it because of a clashing family event but the gift he sent was more than enough compensation. It was a baby stroller, the exact one you wanted and pointed out to Andrew. He must've have told Jurgen about it, and knowing the kind man, he must have purchased it in secret.

But the presents you, mostly, appreciated were from the wives because they gave ones that you could enjoy. Lotions, bath salts, spa days for after the birth - all the things you were looking forward to.

"Don't worry, the batch is thinning." Andrew said as he brought you the last few presents.

When you got to the last, you publicly thanked everyone when one last long box came, confusing you.

"Just this one left." He said, kissing your forehead and helping you up from the comfy chair, where you had been sitting.

Untying the bow and tearing the wrapping paper, you glanced into the box but all you saw was paper. Even trying to get rid of some paper and peeking down to the bottom, nothing seemed to be done there.

"Andrew?" You called, your voice sounding muffled because of the box.

"Andrew, I can't see what's in the box. Do you think you—" You lifted your head from the inside and glanced to where Andrew was and saw him posed on one knee.

Gasping, you accidentally pushed the box over and the room silently giggled, but all you could see was your boyfriend on his knee.

"Andy..." You whined, tears already lining your bottom lids as you waddled over and touched his hair.

He sheepishly looked at you, not caring that you messed his hair up and smiled, "Y/N, I found perfect love with you. A love that is reserved for soulmates; two people who have and will always be meant for each other. It's crazy that it has taken me this long to ask for your hand in marriage, but, I realised I was too crazy in love with you not to. I love you. I love the person you are. I love waking up to you. I love falling asleep next to you. I love the fact that you're carrying my child—"

Andrew's voice cracked at the end, as he looked down and shook his head. He set his eyes back on you and you noticed his cheeks were wet with tears, wiping them with the pads of your thumbs.

"—I love the fact that we'll start a family together. I love that you'll be by my side and I love you." He emphasised.

"So..." He cleared his throat dramatically, "...will you do me — Andrew Henry Robertson — the honour of becoming my wife and marrying me?"

If you had opened your mouth at that moment, all that would've come out were squeaks and cries, therefore, you could only nod in response.

The room erupted into cheers as the man on his knee pushed the ring onto your finger, and stood up only to hug you into arms. "Thank you."

"I'm so happy, you fool. Why couldn't you ask me without making a debacle, Mr Robertson?"

He pulled a face, his beard scratching you cheek as he moved back. "Now, that wouldn't have been me, eh?"

The night ended splendidly; with your closest family and friends around you. Robertson and you sharing the celebrations of, both, your unborn child and the engagement.