Deeper

*Maisey's Pov*

Dumping myself down in the chair, Hank looked at me with his hands underneath his chin, a smile on his face.

"What's up, kiddo?" He asked.

"Nothing."

"You're a bad liar."

Why does everyone keep saying that?

I've hidden some of the darkest things from cops for years and they've never known about it. I'm not a bad liar at all. If they know something is wrong, it's because I want them to know that something is wrong.

The second I was about to get out my book from my bag, the buzzing of the gate sounded, putting Hank on edge. Grabbing his gun, he stood from his seat and tapped me on the shoulder, telling me to get down and away from the windows. Carefully opening the door, he checked on me one last time before he walked through it, his gun raised.

Antonio's facial expression was hard to read as Kage spoke. It's like he was guilty and ashamed of something.

Everyone turned to look at me as I stood in the doorway of Hank's office, tears filling my eyes at the sight of Kage and his team.

I wanted to run forward but Hank held me back, making me look up at him and then to Antonio.

"Why does she look upset?" Asked Kage as he walked past Jay and the others.

Antonio stepped into his path, their eyes connecting instantly and giving each other a certain look.

Something wasn't right, they were hiding something from me.

"You said it was too hot right now. Why are you lying to me?" I asked as I pushed past Hank who had tried to shield me from the situation.

"He's right, Kana. It is too hot right now," Said Kage as he winked at me with a small smirk playing on his lips. "You should really study instead." He said before he left.

The team turned to me, giving me a strange look when I retreated into Hank's office without argument.

I could say that they were correct and that I didn't care but that would be a lie. Instead, I went onto my phone and sent a text off to Derek, asking if he wanted to hang out.

Later in the day, I was done with all my homework and it was done to a good standard but like usual, Antonio didn't believe me.

"Can I go to Derek's?" I asked him as he read through my creative writing speech.

"No." He said as he squinted his eyes to concentrate. "What's this about?"

"Just a scenario we were given."

"I'm not going to ask again, what is this about?"

"A past experience."

"What happened?"

"Read it and find out. Also, I've already agreed to hang out with Derek. I don't want to keep him waiting."

"Do you not understand what being grounded entails?" He said as he slammed my laptop closed. "You wrote a creative writing piece about that night. You blame yourself?"