Hopelessly confused

Sophie had no idea what was going on, she was enjoying spending some time with Lord Gordon, he was family, not that many people know but having him supposedly sniffing around was increasing her number of dance partners and number of suitors calling on her.

And the Earl of Kilmartin was also helping, though Sophie knew that his intentions were towards Francesca.

She'd stumbled upon them sharing a chaste kiss the night of Lady Danbury's opening ball and she'd promised to keep her mouth shut whilst they were courting. It was an ideal situation as John was fun to talk to and told her lots of stories about her cousin and brother, as well as his own cousin.

But the only downside was she didn't seem to have many serious suitors... no one that she would have considered as a possibility for a future. John might have done so if he wasn't so infatuated with Francesca and there was no way that she was doing anything to jeopardise that.

It was thought that John would be asking Franscesca for her hand in marriage anytime soon, or that was at least the rumour that Sophie had overheard and William had told her that he had been courting a woman who understood that he and Sophie were just friends and he was thinking he was going to ask her to marry him. Something Sophie was thrilled with.

The Bridgerton Ball was the next party, and Sophie had suggested to John that it would perhaps be the best place for it to happen. To ask Anthony's permission at the ball and then ask. William had already decided that he was going to wait a little while longer to ask, only another week or so but the rumours were already flying that Lord Gordon and the Earl of Kilmartin were about to declare themselves.

So everyone was waiting with bated breath to find out who the lucky one was.

The Bridgerton Ball was the next big event on the social calendar, it was the last party Violet Bridgerton would be hosting at Bridgerton House and it was expected to be a big event, if not the party of the season.

Sophie knew that Violet was looking to move out of Bridgerton House as Kate was pregnant with their first child and had promised to move out as soon as Anthony started a family so thanks to Sophie's father, she'd found a place on Bruton Street that was perfect for her with the remaining children.

A masquerade was what she'd decided to host and Sophie was looking forward to it but at the same time, she was getting a little bored of dancing with the same people over and over, the same conversations and not feeling anything for anyone.

Nothing even remotely close to friendship.

Lady Whistledown had been writing that whilst Lady Gunningworth seemed to have a long line of suitors, no one appeared to be taking the mantle seriously... were they waiting for Lord Gordon or the Earl of Kilmartin to make a move... or were they waiting to see if the rumours of an attachment between Benedict Bridgerton and Lady Gunningworth were true...

Despite there having had minimal contact with one another since Sophie had arrived in London.

She just felt a bit fed up with it all.

She'd had to fend off a couple of unwanted attention from some gentleman, the pointed looks at her bosom, their hands drifting lower as she danced...

Charlie had warned several of them off, and told them to leave his sister alone and that she would never be courted by them. If they came close to Sophie again he'd ruin them.

She was in the middle of the season and found herself no further forward than she had been at the start of the season.

Her heart was telling her to wait, but her head was being pragmatic. Benedict was acting like he had done as a child when Anthony had stolen his easel from him to get him to come outside and play.