𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟎

Start from the beginning

When she finally finishes with my hair, I finally get a chance to take a good look at myself in the mirror. I have to admit, I look gorgeous in my green dress and tiara, but there's a part of me that feels like a doll being dressed up by Rosalina. A pretty toy without any real power or agency.

The sounds of the palace servants scurrying outside my door suddenly come to a halt, and I hear the distinctive sound of someone entering my room. I turn to see Alex walking in, looking sharp in his royal guard uniform.

"Princess," he says, greeting me formally with a deep bow, as if we're nothing more than acquaintances. "It's almost time for the coronation. I just wanted to wish you luck."

I try to smile back at him to be polite, but the truth is that I don't feel very lucky at all. Not with the knowledge that Marco is only hours away from being crowned king, and that I'll have to bow down to him and call him Your Majesty.

Gross.

Even though Alex is putting on quite the show for the people around us, in my eyes, he's desperate to talk to me alone. A muscle in his jaw twitches slightly, and I can feel the anger radiating off of him. He's mad, but I'm not quite certain as to why.

"Your Highness, you have to go now." Rosalina's voice cuts through the tension in the air, ending the brief moment of tension with my bodyguard.

I nod silently, feeling more nervous and overwhelmed than ever before. My heart's been pounding so hard that I'm certain everyone around me can hear it. This is the moment I've been dreading for so long, and now that it's finally here, I'm paralyzed with fear.

I try to take a deep breath to calm myself down, but it's no use. My lungs are still feeling constricted from the corset, and every breath I take is making me even more lightheaded. This is a nightmare.

But I don't have time to dwell on my fears. Alex steps forward and takes my hand, and I let him lead me out of the room. Together, we begin roaming down the long, ornate hallways of the palace, accompanied by a group of servants who all seem just as anxious as I am.

The closer we get to the coronation hall, the more the tension in the air becomes palpable. I can hear whispers as we pass by other workers and even some of the guests who are already in their seats, waiting for the ceremony to begin.

This is happening. Marco is really going to be crowned king.

I'm doing everything I can to keep my composure as we approach the entrance to the coronation hall, but it's no use. My hands are shaking uncontrollably, and my eyes are starting to sting with unshed tears.

Finally, Alex stops in front of the double doors that lead into what will soon be King Marco's throne room. He looks me in the eyes, and for a brief moment, I think he might say something comforting to me. But instead, he simply bows his head in a show of respect before he turns and walks away.

Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, I try to quell the panic that's threatening to overwhelm me. I have to do this. I have to be strong.

The room is filled with people, all there to witness Marco's ascension to the throne. They're all wearing their finest clothes and jewels, and the atmosphere is festive, despite the fact that I feel like I'm about to throw up.

My eyes scan over my surroundings nervously at first; however, the comfort of a familiar face soothes my anxiety quickly. A head of silky chocolate brown hair with a pair of gorgeous hazel eyes emerges from the crowd, and I find myself walking toward her.