𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏

Start from the beginning

We start to walk down the corridor with her hand held in mine, but it doesn't mean anything has changed between us. I do have to talk to her, though, so for the time being, I pretend as if nothing is wrong.

"You're free for today. Would you perhaps want to go to your art studio, or—"

Elena cuts me off before I can finish my sentence—something that I don't let anyone but her do. "Actually, I want to take you out for your birthday."

Taken aback by her words, I stop moving. "You," I question, turning to her, "want to take me out? For my birthday?"

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. A lump forms in my throat, and there's a huge part of me that doesn't like celebrating—or even acknowledging—my birthday. But there's also something nagging at me—an urge to give the princess what she wants.

I bite my lip, weighing my options. I know it's not possible for me to go—I'm a guard, and my duty is to protect the palace, not enjoy a romantic date—but I also can't help but feel like this might be the perfect opportunity to finally talk to her about what's been bothering me.

"Fine," I concede, the word slipping out of my mouth before I can stop it.

Elena's face lights up, and just like that, a weight lifts off my shoulders. I don't know what it is about her that makes me want to cave in to her every demand, but the feeling is so strong it's almost overwhelming.

"Great!" she exclaims, a grin spreading across her face. "We need disguises."

The princess dashes back inside the room, leaving me standing in the hallway, stunned. Did that really just happen?

Two minutes later, the princess emerges from the room dressed in an oversized white hoodie with some sweats, and I'm surprised she even owns such clothes. Her long hair is pinned up into a ponytail, and she looks completely different from her usual elegant self. But she will never be any less beautiful in my eyes.

She hands me a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to wear, along with a stylish jacket. What shocks me even more is that these are clothes for men.

Why the fuck does she have these?

But Elena doesn't seem to notice the jealousy sparking in me, and she pulls me into her room. Startled, I look at her as if she's gone mad for expecting me to change in front of her.

She immediately notices and rolls her eyes in response. "I'm not going to watch you, idiot. I'll turn," she assures. "Besides, it's nothing I haven't seen before," she adds with a cheeky smile.

I glare at her. "Very funny."

After shooting a wink at my retort, she turns away, and I quickly slip out of my uniform. I put the shirt over my head with ease before pulling up the jeans and throwing the black jacket on.

"You can look now," I sigh, leaning back against the door.

Elena spins around and greets me with a warm smile, looking genuinely pleased. She's even holding a pair of sunglasses, which she hands to me. "Let's go, then."

˚ʚ ˚✧.

I park my motorcycle on the side of the street, turning my head back slightly to look at the princess. Her arms are wrapped tightly around my waist, and for a moment, it makes me think that she doesn't trust my driving.

"You can open your eyes, you know," I grumble, glaring at her. It's not a serious look, though. Only a playful one.

Her eyes flutter open, and she breathes a sigh of relief. "You drive too fast," she counters defensively while I help her get off the bike.