17: Concrete Promises

Start from the beginning

"Wow. I wish I had a boyfriend," Madeline groans. "I mean look at you three. Boyfriend, boyfriend, fiancé. And here I am with no one."

"Let's talk about Elizabeth for a minute. Romeo?" She laughs almost in shock. "We didn't think he'd ever settle down."

"Are you two settling down? Or is this—"

"We are trying for a baby," I say. They all look at me in a happy shock.

"Wow," she whispers. "I remember when he didn't want anything. Just sex. He didn't want to settle down or anything. And now, you," Liviana says. "You've changed him."

In thirty minutes, we all sit in the dining room. Romeo sits near me. I grab his hand. I look at everyone and almost shrink. Romeo grabs the back of my neck as he wraps an arm around me. He squeezes it gently.

"Thank you to the Bianchi family for hosting this," Carlo says. He raises a glass. "To the fucking Italians!" Everyone raises their glasses.

"Oh, you guys," Alina says. She laughs as she raises her glass. "To this fucking family."

"Aye! Has a nice ring to it!" Santino roars.

"Santi," Liviana says. She smacks his chest. "This is a formal gathering."

"I know that baby. Just a little drunk." Everyone laughs. Romeo chuckles and shakes his head.

"A few announcements before the banquet. As always, this is a public event. Each family has been given a ring with their colors. This signifies an alliance," Elijah starts. "As always, this is a highly secure event. If there's a need for shelter, the women and children will be taken to the haven." There's silence. "Romeo," Elijah says. Romeo takes a sip of his drink.

"I'll be claiming my queen tonight," he says. He grabs my hand. I flinch. Why did I flinch? I know it's him. He'll never bring me harm.

"Qué significa eso?" I ask him.

"Es solo un título." (It's just a title.)

"No," I shake my head. My no is evident to everyone.

"Babe, there's nothing to worry about. If Romeo does this, then—"

"No," I interrupt Allison. She just looks at me with confusion on her face.

I begin to get all panicky. "Elizabeth," Romeo says. He scoots out of his chair and pulls out my chair as well. "Let's talk outside."

Now I'm scared. He's talking in a serious tone. Did I mess something up between him and me? Is this important to him?

Romeo guides me outside and away from prying eyes. There, I begin to break down. "What's going on, Tesoro?" He asks me.

"I don't—I don't know. I—" I find it hard to breathe, so I sit down and bury my face in my hands. "I'm so sorry..." He kneels in front of me and brushes the hair from my face.

"You're having a panic attack," is all he says.

"What's that?" I cry. He rubs my arms back and forth.

"It's a sudden episode of intense fear," Nate responds. He comes outside with a glass of water. "Sometimes it can cause many physical responses."

"But," I whisper. "I'm sorry I ruined this, Romeo." He sits in the chair with me and pulls me to his lap.

"I should have told you before," is all he says. He kisses my temple.

Nate sits outside with us. He waits for me to be calm and collected before he gives me the glass of water.

"Elizabeth! There you are! It's time to get ready for the banquet. You two should go get ready," Alina says. She smiles so sweetly at me.

...

I have an hour to get ready. When Romeo comes in the room, he sits on the bed and watches me as I curl my hair. "You are beautiful," he says. He continues to watch me. He unbuttons his shirt and slips off his pants so he can change.

"Romeo," I say as he fixes himself up in the mirror.

"What is it, baby?"

"I do want to be your queen," I say. He comes out of the bathroom. He studies me for a minute.

"Then you'll be my queen and I'll worship you like the queen you are." He comes behind me to kiss me. "Now, we must leave. We are the hosts of the banquet anyway.

I unzip the bag that holds my dress inside. "Can you help me?" I ask him. I unzip the back of the dress. I chose a red dress with intricate gemstone designs on it. The front is low cut and there's a slit in the skirt of the dress. The back of the dress is low.

Romeo helps me slip the dress up my body. I take off my bra and put it on the rest of the way. He comes behind me. I can feel his breath on my skin and his fingers tracing my back as he zips up the dress. "You are absolutely stunning," is all he says. He leaves kisses on my neck and shoulders.

"Thank you for giving me everything," I say. I turn to kiss him. He messes with my hair and slips a ring on my finger. 

"You're the only woman I'd sacrifice the world for."

...

The driver takes us to the venue we previously set up in yesterday. Now, as the sun falls and the moon rises, the city lights blare. The banquet is lit like a cathedral. A red carpet drapes over the steps. Lines form on both sides of the hall with couples dressed in their best outfits. Cars roll up to the stairs. As the mafia couples get out of the car, heads turn. They are escorted inside by a team of bodyguards. It happens with each mafia family.

Elijah and Alina are in front of us. He helps her out of the car. Everyone stares at them. For an older couple, they turn everyone's heads. He kisses her cheek as she whispers something in his ear. The bodyguard team brings them inside.

"This is big," I say. I shake my leg up and down. Romeo sits down beside me. He turns to me.

"You're ok," is all he says. He helps to adjust my dress and make sure my necklace is fixed the right way. I lean over to fix his hair as it falls in his face. The black dress shirt that he wears shows some of his tattoos. He puts the rest of his tuxedo on. I help him.

"Here, sir," says the driver. One of the bodyguards opens the door on Romeo's side. He gets out. Immediately, I can hear talking in English and Italian. I'm still hidden from the crowd, so as I scoot to get out, Romeo hides me from everyone.

"Ready?" He asks. I nod. He extends his hand to me and helps me get out. Another round of talking erupts.

I look around. My heart's beating terribly fast. Romeo puts his hand on the small of my back to comfort me. The team of bodyguards comes back, so we walk up with them.

My heart races. I feel like backing out a hundred times, so I grab Romeo's hand tightly. He squeezes it to reassure me.

The doors open for us.

Tonight is when he will claim me as his queen.

-Everest-