Prologue

My life has changed a lot lately and I think I can say that it has only been good changes.

My friends, my parents, Ryo.

Ryo met my parents before they went back to work, I really thought it would be worse than it actually was.

“He's beautiful!” was the first thing my mom said when she met Ryo.  It was accidentally he took me home and my parents were arriving, so my father invited him to come in and have dinner with us.

I think my parents figured out that Ryo isn't just my friend for two reasons.

First when, he had his arm around my waist when we found my parents by surprise.

And second...

"What school do you go to, kid?" My dad asked after we started eating.

"I changed school not long ago, now I study at Senomon High School." Ryo was fiddling with his plate trying to disguise the fact that he didn't want to make eye contact.

My parents shared a look like 'now it all made sense' because the Oya boys are my brothers but Ryo is not from Oya.

"And your family? I seem to know your last name."

"Mom..." I tried to warn her, so that she wouldn't judge his family by the money, like she did before.

My mom seemed to realize her mistake. "I'm sorry, but that's not really what I meant. I really think I've heard your last name."

"My father had a company..."Ryo pretended to clear his throat. "Now he's a private driver."

I avoided talking about Ryo's family, it seemed too heavy  topic for him.

"You seem like a good boy, Suzaki." My dad said with a smile.

"Do you like books?" My mom asked.

"I like hearing your daughter talk about the books she likes to me." Ryo flashed me a smile.

"Awww! That's so cute! Your dad was never this romantic!" My mom said smacking my dad on the shoulder.

"I took you on a cruise last year!" My dad complained.

"Because you won a sweepstakes!"

I looked at Ryo apologizing silently, but he just kept smiling.

Soon dinner was over and Ryo said goodbye to my parents.

"Thanks, the food was great." Ryo thanked us, we were approaching the door.

"Feel free to come visit whenever you like." My mother said when we stopped.

"Take good care of our daughter."  My dad said with a serious look.

"I'll do my best." Ryo said respectfully.

We went outside and I looked out the window to make sure my parents weren't spying on me.

"I'm sorry that was sudden." I whispered just in case.

"No problem, I enjoyed it. It was a good time."

"Thank you...Do you want me to walk you home?" I asked.

"No, go enjoying time with your parents." Ryo told me wrapping his arms around me and kissing my cheek.

"Fine, I'll let you go. Don't get in trouble." I said laughing.

"I don't promise anything…" He chuckled too, before letting me go and walking away.

I think sometimes Ryo feels sad about things, like when my mother mentioned his family, but he still avoids telling.  I hope he can open up to me one day.