I opened his door, saw a mess of toys like usual, and stepped over them all. I'll tell him to clean up tomorrow.

I flopped onto his bed, still holding onto him, and let out an over-exaggerated 'oof'. He giggled a little, and rolled off of me.

"Can you stay here?" He whispered.

"You know the answer to that. How are you supposed to ever sleep by yourself as a grownup, if I sleep in here every night?" I raised an eyebrow at him, then got out of his bed.

He sighed. "I know. I just thought I'd ask. Love you."

"Love you, Spencer. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

As I made my way downstairs, my attention was brought to the sound. Or rather, lack of sound.

Paige wasn't crying anymore.

I stepped off of the last step, and into the living room, smiling at what I saw.

Alexandria was sitting cross-legged in my mom's favorite chair, holding Paige in her arms, and quietly humming. A light smile was resting on her face, her eyes soft.

As I went over there, she looked up, her humming coming to a halt.

"Hey. I finally got her to settle." She whispered.

"I can see that. Thank you so much." I said in an equally quiet tone.

"Of course." Her head twitched, and her peaceful expression turned to one of concentration for a split second, then returned. "Why didn't your mom hold her?"

I cringed slightly at the question. "Um, she's not home right now."

She nodded.

After a couple moments of silence, I sat on the couch, and leaned my head back, staring at the ceiling.

"Can you put her in her crib? I'll show you where it is, then I can drive you home?" I offered, desperate for sleep, but knowing I couldn't keep her here all night.

"Sure." Alexandria unfolded her legs and stood up, and I started the trek up the stairs again.

Once we got to Paige's room, I pointed to the crib and said, "If you could lay her in there, that'd be great." She nodded and went to the crib, setting her gently on her back, then carefully rolling her over.

"Woah, woah, what are you doing? Babies can't lay on their stomachs!" I was wide awake in a second, rushing over to her.

"They shouldn't lay on their stomachs when they are newborns, but once they hit two months, it is *click* completely safe, and often comforting for them. Plus, I'm just laying her on her side, so she has the complete ability to roll onto her back if she wants."

"Oh." I was at a loss for words. This girl knows a lot.

She smiled at me. "Could you drive me home? If you don't mind?"

I nodded, shoving back a yawn. I am not about to yawn in front of her. Nuh-uh.

She stepped around me, and out of the room, pulling out her phone. Probably to check the time.

I followed Alexandria down the stairs, and watched as she grabbed her wallet off of the coffee table. I didn't even notice it was there. Her wavy dark brown hair cascaded down her shoulders, silky in the dim lighting.

She looked up at me, and I caught her bright blue eyes. She's so pretty. I thought.

She flashed a smile at me, then made her way to the door. I trailed behind her, grabbing my keys and phone on the way. This time she sat up front with me.

"Thanks for coming over, even though we don't know each other, and it's insanely late. Or early, I guess." I pushed the keys into the ignition, then backed out of the driveway. "Why were you up?"

"Oh, um, just couldn't sleep, I *click* guess. I decided it's better to do homework than just lay in bed awake." She groaned suddenly. "Crap, I forgot about my homework."

"You can copy my Geometry in the morning, if you want." I mentally facepalmed, turning onto her street. Why would I say that?

"Oh, thank you forever, you're a lifesaver." She responded, and I realized why I said what I did.

"Actually, you are for putting Paige to bed, but you're welcome anyways, I guess." I parked in front of her house, sending her a tired smile. "Thanks, Alexandria."

"Sure, any time. And it's just Le..." She turned around at that moment, and I didn't hear the rest, so I guessed.

"Lexi?"

"I... um, yeah. Yeah, that's fine." She clicked, and her head twitched. "Goodnight. Hope Paige sleeps through the night."

"Goodnight, thank you!" I called after her as she ran off.

×

The second I was home, I flopped on the couch, too tired to go upstairs again.

I was asleep within seconds.