Book 1, Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

Yuu looked, raising a brow. "He's gonna be very strict. I can hear it in the way he speaks. Good thing I took that Botany class in college." She whispered to herself, keeping her eyes on Professor Crewel as he spoke.

"For now, I realize you have all the self-control of voracious hounds. But I will not abide a single student failing this class. Expect to be drilled accordingly." He said, before grabbing sheets to hand out.

"Huh. So... does anyone know what a mycelia is?" Deuce asked hopefully.

"I've never been one for like, memorizing what things are, ya know?" Ace said, playing with the collar's ends.

"All I care about is how to tell the yummy plants from the yucky ones." Grim said, taking another bite from his half of the sandwich.

"It's kinda like this branching, thread-like substance that acts like a root base for fungus, or in more common terms, mushrooms." She informed, earning an impressed look from Deuce.

"Very good, pup." A voice from behind her startled her, making her jump. She turned to see Crewel standing behind her. "Where did you learn this?" His gaze seemed to pierce through her soul as he raised an eyebrow

"Oh... I, um... took a botany class and picked up a couple things, sir." She said, shakily.

Crewel gave a nod, satisfied with the answer before he left the pages for the group and walked away.

Yuu watched him before popping open the container with berries. She popped a blueberry into her mouth, chewing before offering some to the boys.

"You guys want some?" She placed the berry container on the table. The boys nodded, scrambling to snatch a couple of berries. Dorks. She thought to herself, taking her half of the sandwich and sealing it away from Grim.

.

.

.

Yuu stood awkwardly in front of a teacher with a very stern expression. He appeared to be strict, like professor Crewel, but he seemed to be more of a traditional teacher. Yuu knew that she'd have to fight for her consciousness in his class.

"I am your History of Magic teacher, Mozus Trein. And this is my familiar, Lucius." He said, his voice softening at the mention of a black and white cat. Yuu looked at Lucius with childish excitement. She'd always liked cats, only she could never have one as a pet, given that her sisters were allergic. Maybe Lucius will let me pet him!

"You are here to learn the rich history of magic, and how it has sculpted the world which you now so easily take for granted." He said, snapping his fingers under her nose to regain her attention. Yuu gave a nod, praying that the History of magic was not as boring as regular history was. Lucius gave a long, calming meow.

"I grade based on classroom behavior as well as the quality of work. Don't let me catch you sleeping." Trein stated before pausing and lowering his voice. "And before you tell me, Miss Yuu... I have been made aware of your condition. I will do my best to accommodate." He concluded before dismissing her to her seat. Yuu gave a nod.

"Thank you sir." She made her way to the seat next to Deuce.

"Alright... Now, let us open our books to page fifteen. This section concerns the magestones discovered in the Dwarfs' Mine..."

Lucius gave a methodical meow, making his way to Yuu, sitting in front of her. Lucius moved hypnotically as Professor Trein spoke.

"As knowledge and awareness of magical energy began to spread across the globe from this point, this year is considered Year One of the Magic Era." Wow. I'm sure this would be interesting, but damn, his voice is kinda monotonous.