Chapter 25: Ours ★

Start from the beginning

So don't you worry your pretty, little mind

People throw rocks at things that shine

And life makes love look hard

The stakes are high, the water's rough

But this love is ours

A sense of relief washed over Emily as she leaned in, her lips meeting mine in a tender and reassuring kiss. At that moment, I knew that our love was strong enough to weather any storm that lay ahead.

As the sun began to set, casting a warm glow over our table, we sat there, enjoying each other's company.

As Emily and I basked in the warmth of our love, a sudden interruption shattered the tranquility of the evening. I noticed a familiar face approaching our table, noticing it was Tanner. We exchanged polite greetings, but something seemed off about him.

Tanner's usually friendly demeanor was replaced by a look of concern and worry. Sensing his unease, I couldn't help but ask, "Tanner, is everything alright? You seem troubled."

You never know what people have up their sleeves

Ghosts from your past gonna jump out at me

Lurking in the shadows with their lip gloss smiles

But I don't care 'cause right now you're mine

He sighed heavily, his eyes searching mine for answers. "Joel, I met up with Ronnie a couple of days ago, and something happened that has me really worried. We were talking, and I mentioned John." I nodded, showing that I understood. "As soon as I brought up his name, Ronnie started acting strange, flinching and being anxious."

My heart skipped a beat as worry washed over me. Ronnie had always been strong and confident, but if something had happened between her and John, it could explain her sudden change in behavior. "Tanner, what do you think might have happened? Did she say anything?"

Tanner shook his head, his expression filled with concern. "No, she didn't say anything specific, but her reaction was so intense that it made me wonder. I've known Ronnie for a long time, and I've never seen her react like that before. I'm just worried that something bad might have happened between them."

I glanced over at Emily, who had been listening intently but seemed confused by the mention of Ronnie, John, and Tanner. It was a story I hadn't shared with her yet, and now it seemed like the right time to fill her in.

"Wait," Emily began. "So I'm confused. You're Tanner," she said, pointing at him. "But there's also a John?"

"Emily," I began gently, turning towards her, "Ronnie started dating one of my friends from high school, his name was John. He was very toxic to her, making her feel like she was always doing something wrong as a girlfriend, not showing her love, and not appreciating her. Ronnie hated herself for loving him, despite all he had done to her. In fact, she hadn't broken up with him until she wanted to surprise him, since he was working all the time. When she showed up to his house, he was there with another woman."

"Wait," Tanner began. "I didn't know that."

"You didn't?" I asked, beginning to feel confused myself.

And it's not theirs to speculate

If it's wrong, and your hands are tough