Chapter 5: Fearless ★

Ronnie's POV:

I stared at my phone as I looked in horror at what I'd done.

What did I just do?

He has a girlfriend.

He's never going to speak to me again.

"Ronnie!" I hear my mom yell. "Are you coming down?" 

"Coming!" I yelled back, leaving my room. I went downstairs, finding the rest of my family already sitting down at the dining table. 

"There she is," my dad said with a smile of admiration. "Okay, let's say grace."

We said grace together, then began to eat the dinner my mother had prepared.

"So," my mother said, as she cut her food. "How was everyone's day today?"

"Good," Joel responded. "Ronnie and I went for ice cream with a couple of friends from school."

"Oh!" my mom replied. "Did you guys hang out with anyone nice?"

My brother turned and looked at me. 

"Uh," I started. "Not really. Same old, same old," I said, as I laughed nervously. 

"We saw John," my brother mentioned. My eyes became wide.

"Oh, John!" My dad said. "I remember that boy! How is he doing?"

"I don't know. Ronnie was talking to him more than I did."

"Oh," my mom said, in a surprised tone, as she turned her head towards me. "What did you guys talk about?"

I picked at my food, and replied, "Oh nothing. Just stuff."

"Ok then." my mom said giving up on the conversation. 

We finished dinner, and as everyone was heading to be on their own, I tapped Joel on the shoulder.

"Joel!"

"Hmm?" he questioned, turning towards me.

"I need help."

"With what?" he asked, beginning to look concerned.

I waved my hand, signaling him to follow me. 

He followed me upstairs until we got to my room. 

"What is it, Ronnie?"

"I did something stupid. Really stupid."

"O-Ok." Joel stuttered. "W-What did you do?"

I showed him my phone, and he read the paragraph that I sent to John.

"Oh my goodness," he said, finishing reading the text. "Why would you do that?"

"I didn't mean to! I wrote this whole song and I got emotional, and then he texted me and I wished I could tell him the truth, but I knew I couldn't because he has a girlfriend, but I still typed it down to imagine how I would tell him, and then I accidentally sent it!" I rambled. It became hard to breathe, and I found myself beginning to gasp for air. 

"Okay, ok, hey, look at me," he said, putting his arm on my back. "Breathe. In and out. Follow my breathing," he said.

I calmed myself down as I followed his breathing, and soon enough, I was able to breathe again. 

"Thanks," I said, feeling the relief of breathing. "I don't know what to do. He's going to hate me!"

"He's not going to hate you," he reassured me.

"He has a girlfriend!"

Joel sighed. "Yes, he does."

"Why am I so stupid?" I asked, lying myself down on my bed face-first.